7

unedited and not proof read

where was i taking this story again?

i really think i jumped the gun on this and not in a good way

When I woke up, I was laying on a pull-out bed which I recognized was in the Château. I sat up slowly, holding my head in the process, completely unaware that someone was watching me.

    "Thank God, you're okay." He sighed in relief.

    I looked over to JJ and he looked like he hadn't slept all night. "Have you slept?" I asked him.

    "For a bit. Hope you don't mind but I slept next to you. I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

    "That's fine." I replied. "What happened last night?"

    "Topper punched you when you got in between us when he meant to punch me."  JJ explained. My mind went to a flashback of last night, and sort of started to remember what had happened.

    I groaned. "I am the biggest idiot, why would I even get into the middle of a fight of two boys trying to stop it?"

    "Because you care." JJ smiled and I smiled in return. "Do you need any medication?" He asked and I nodded slowly.

    "Please." I went to swing my feet to the floor, but JJ noticed and ordered me to stay in bed and he would get the medication for me along with a sandwich. I suddenly remembered about my father and looked next to me for my phone and saw it on a table beside the pull out.

    Grabbing it, I noticed I had 3 missed calls from my dad along with 10 text messages and 2 voicemails. I took no time to dial my father's contact number and when he answered I could hear the tension and worry leave his body.

    "Honey, I was so worried about you! I know I told you to get out of the house and to have fun, but I didn't think it would mean it'd be okay for you to stay out all night, not come home and get into a fight!"

    "Dad, I am okay." I sighed, then added, "wait, how did you know I was in a fight?"

    "Topper told me."

    "Well he told you wrong. Did he tell you he was the one who hit me?"

    "No, that boy didn't." My dad mumbled angrily. "I'm going to kick his ass for laying a hand on you."

    "Well, it's kind of my own fault. I got into the middle of a fight between him and another guy trying to stop it—bad timing."

    "Who was the other guy?"

    "A Pogue." I replied and JJ came in the room holding a plate and a glass of water. I put my finger to my lips as he went to speak. "Dad, don't worry, Kie helped me out, okay?"

    My dad sighed, "Okay honey. You'll be back home today, right?"   

    "Yes, I'll be back home today. I'll see you in a few hours once my head turns out to be better."

    I hung up the phone after saying goodbye and gave JJ a thankful smile for the plate and glass of water. I took two Advil's and swallowed with water before taking a bite out of the food.

    "Topper hit you pretty hard," JJ began, "you had us all worried when you passed out. Of course, Topper and the Kooks left as soon as you hit the sand. Pope and Kie helped me get you here."

    "Where are Pope and Kie?"

    "Helping out their family."

    "Thanks for staying," I thanked and grabbed his hand in mine giving it a tight squeeze.

    "Of course; they've been busy quite a lot lately, it's actually nice to have the company."

    JJ and I sat in silence for the next five minutes as I finished up my food, us just enjoying each other's' company. The thought of hurting him was weighing on my heart and mind, so when I swallowed my last bite, I apologized to him.

    "For what?" He asked.

    "What you saw that day; on the boat when I was with Topper." I said shamefully.

    "Oh that," JJ laughed, "it's fine, I'm used to getting let down." He said and got up from sitting next to me, but I grabbed his forearm.

    "That was not me letting you down, JJ."

    "Then what was it?"

    "Topper was basically blackmailing me about telling my dad about our make out session, so Topper wanted to hang out. He ignored me for the first few hours; I didn't expect him to kiss me."

    "So, you only went out with him so you could protect us—me?"

    "Yes." I nodded.

    "Baby girl, I don't need protecting." JJ smirked and got up from the bed. "I should get you home before your dad freaks out more."

    "I told him a few hours." I had a smirk on my own face. "We could sit around, watch tv, or do some other activities." I got on my knees and wrapped my arms around JJ's neck, but he took them off.

    "Come on so I can get you home."

    JJ ended up taking me home in John B's old truck and when he dropped me off, I didn't bother to say goodbye or even look back. I went straight up to my room and went to shower since my dad wasn't home yet.

    I looked in the mirror and to my horror, I had a small bruise on my forehead, but thankfully, no black eye.

    My phone buzzed on the countertop beside me and I picked up to a smiling John B, "so, have you talked to them yet? Your cousin Alyssa might know where the plane is and where the gold is!" he said excitedly.

    I sighed. "Well, they're just now talking to me again, so it make take longer."

    "Wait—why?"

    "Topper."

    I heard John B and Sarah both go, "of course." They explained to me that the theory they had was Ward's people had already come and unloaded the gold and may have emptied it in an underground cave somewhere in Nassau. There were about 5 underground caves, ranging from being a mile long to 30 miles long.

    "You have a little over a week before you're back here in Nassau and less than two weeks before school begins. I want to be back in Outer Banks before school starts—it's our senior year, I need to be there with my friends."

    "I understand, I'll get it together." I said, "just give me a few days, and I will work something out."

    I hung up the phone a little anxious about the whole situation. Needing to get the Pogues to come on a trip with me back home—did my dad even want to still get back? My dad seemed to like it here. I also feel like the people here have a lot more secrets than what they're letting on.

    I talked to my dad the other night, and he had some theories on his own. Like, where the heck was John B's uncle? Why did John B's mom just get up and leave? What happened to Rafe's, Sarah's and Wheezie's mom?

    My dad has been doing some investigating on his on, and it made me wonder if my dad could be possibly hiding things on his own.