5

I was lying flat on my stomach reading a book when my phone started ringing from a facetime call with my cousin back home. I answered it and John B was staring into the camera with Sarah in the background.

"Hold on," I state quietly and went to shut my bedroom door and check my room to make sure no one was being a creep. "What's up?"

"Have you talked to them yet?"

"John B, like you said, I need to be careful. They're not going to trust me right away and I get that. I am a kook remember?"

John B sighed, "I know I just miss them."

"Why can't you just talk to them? Why does this have to be carefully planned?"

"Because I need to make sure they won't tell anybody."

"They are your friends, I'm sure they wouldn't tell anyone if it meant getting you back safely with the gold." I reminded. "Now let me talk to Sarah."

John B handed the phone to Sarah and she gave me a smile. "What's up girl?"

"I met your ex and your brother." I said and she laughed.

"Aren't they just a delight?" She mocked and I laughed.

"Just so peachy." I said sarcastically. "Topper already trying to flirt it up with me and warn me about the Pogues and well, I told your brother to fix his hair."

"Maybe you should date Topper so he can get over me." Sarah rolled her eyes. "He still thinks I'll go back to him, even after he helped John B and I escape the church, which isn't going to happen."

"I rather date a rattle snake." I said.

"DAKOTA!" I heard my dad call my name from downstairs.

"Have to go, my dad is calling me. you two stay safe and on the downlow. My father heard through the grapevine that Ward has people flying to Nassau to look for his plane." I mentioned. "How does your father not even know where his own plane went?"

Sarah shrugged. "Beats me."

I said goodbye and hung up the phone to walk downstairs to see what my dad wanted. Topper was standing in our foyer speaking with my dad and when he saw me, he had a grin on his face.

"Topper here wanted to ask me if he could take you on a date, Dakota." My dad smiled. "What a nice boy."

I made a weird noise. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not, Dakota?" Topper smirked. "Already have a date with someone; maybe someone you shouldn't be involved with?" He teased and I narrowed my eyes. I know Topper was referring to the make out session I had with JJ on the boat the other day.

"No." I groaned out. "I just don't want to go on a date with you."

"Then let's call it a hang out." Topper offered. "We can go on my boat or go surfing. My boat is pretty nice—an expensive." I know that was a dig at JJ's boat which wasn't as nice as Toppers.

"Fine," I sighed and crossed my arms. "Let me go change." I said and went up the stairs to my room and changed out of sweats and a hoodie into some black, jean shorts and a crop top on top of my bathing suit.

When I went back downstairs Topper and my dad held their conversation. "Nice to see you again, Mr. Berry." Topper smiled and he nodded me out the door.

Topper ended up taking me surfing first on the kook side of the island. It wasn't a terrible time, but it wasn't also too enjoyable. I guess I have gotten so used to the Pogues that I didn't want to be around anyone else.

Was it the Pogues or JJ you were used to, Dakota?

I let out a big sigh as I sat on the sand and Topper was surfing with Kelce. Honestly, Topper has barely talked to me other than threatening to expose my activities with JJ. For some reason, I felt the urge to protect that moment with JJ from anyone. It's not like it was anything special, but it felt intimate to me.

Rafe came and sat next to me, his hair still in that ugly do of his. I just know he'd be more attractive if he would mess it up and stop putting so much gel in it and swooping it to the side.

"Staring problems, much?" He said and I shook my head and turned my attention back to the ocean. "So, you are from Nassau, correct?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah, what about it?"

Rafe shrugged, "eh, my father and I were supposed to go there on vacation, but he's on some stupid investigation for something he didn't even do."

"What investigation?"

"The cops won't even tell him that. That's illegal, I know that much. They're trying to frame him for murder and say this Pogue kid actually didn't do it."

"Well, did your dad do it?"

"No." Rafe said. He looked behind him and I saw a dude with longer hair walk up. "Be back." He said and walked off.

"Drug deal." I whispered to myself. Topper and Kelce this time came up to me, greeting some other kooks along the way. "I'm bored." I told Topper once he came closer.

"Then let's go on my boat, just us two."

"I don't like you, remember that." I state and Topper put his hands up.

"Just a friendly invitation."

I didn't trust Topper; from the moment he walked into my house and asked my father if he could take me on a 'date.' This was not a date. This was a chance to get back at the Pogues.

On the boat ride we sat next to each other, but still I kept my distance as much as I could from him. The ride wasn't as fun as like I had with JJ the other day. Although JJ and I had minimum talk, we enjoyed each other's company—in more ways than one.

I should have known Topper had a plan deep inside his cruel head of his. One minute I'm looking in the cooler for a water and the next Topper pulled me to him and smacked his lips right on mine.

I was so shocked in the moment; I didn't push him away as soon as I should've. When I did push him away, my heart ached. I looked over and saw Kie, Pope and JJ all staring at me. It was JJ's expression that had me hurting so bad.

Pope sped their boat away before I could even yell out for them, but I heard a distant yell from Kie, "you're just like the rest of the kooks!"

When I looked to Topper, I wanted to literally kill him. "Why the fück would you do that for!" I yelled.

"There's no way the Pogues will ever accept you now. I'm sure JJ told them all about your boat session and now will see you as a two-timing pig!"

"Just because Sarah cheated on you with a fücking Pogue doesn't give you a damn right to hash that payback on me!" I yelled at Topper and before I could take back what I said, I realized what I said and just huffed and crossed my arms and sat down on the boat.

"How did—"

"Take me fücking home before I push you into the water and leave with your boat." I barked. "Talk to me and I'll punch you in the face."