Chapter 7 - Rising Stakes

Lily's work phone rang as she waited on the Catco elevator.

"Larken here."

"Lily, where are you?" It was Alex, sounding worried.

"I was tracing the hack, what happened?" Concern spilled from her as she spoke.

"There's been an attack." Lily's eyes snapped up, finding Winn's across the crowded office, "it looks like another Fort Rozz escapee."

"Where?"

"Plastino Chemicals." Winn moved towards her as Alex spoke, sensing her distress.

"The chemical plant just out of town?" Lily questioned, trying to gather all the details.

"Yes. Get here now. Hank's sending a team to the plant and I want you there with us."

"I'm headed there now," Lily said, hanging up the phone. She jabbed the elevator button again as though maybe it would speed up the process.

By this time both Winn and, surprisingly, Kara have made their way over to her.

"You know those ears of yours are going to get you in trouble one day," Lily commented as Winn wrapped an arm around her shoulders comfortingly.

Kara shrugged, "Alex called me too. I thought I'd offer you a lift."

Lily nodded, thankfully. Flying with Kara would be much faster than waiting on an elevator that felt like it was never coming.

"What happened?" Winn asked as the trio moved to a more secluded corner of the office so Kara could take off without being noticed.

"A Fort Rozz escapee attacked a chemical plant. Hank needs all hands on deck." Lily said, leaning into Winn. It felt nice to be able to tell him the truth.

Lily sent Alex a quick text, that she and Kara would meet her and Hank at the plant. She kissed Winn on the cheek and then Kara whisked them off.

———

The only people on the scene, when they arrived, were a few stunned security guards. The plant felt dark and eery as they entered, bathed in pale blue light flickering from overhead.

It wasn't hard to find the scene of the attack, the alien had left a body behind, a security guard unfortunate enough to have stumbled across the alien. Lily's stomach churned at the sight and she looked away to avoid losing her lunch. Lily had seen more than her share of corpses in her lifetime, it was something you never got used to.

Kara looked squeamish as well. Thankfully, they didn't have to try to make conversation after the gruesome sight, because at that moment Hank and Alex appeared around the corner mid-argument.

"—will ask me before contacting any unnecessary assets." Hank was saying.

Alex glared at him as she replied, "all due respect, Sir, but she isn't unnecessary. She might be the only person who can give us firsthand accounts of these species."

"Sir," Lily spoke in greeting, and to alert the other two to her and Kara's presence.

"Larken," Hank made an expression that passed for a smile, but it became a grimace as he turned to Kara. "Ms. Danvers."

"Supergirl." Kara corrected impulsively, before looking away as she turned scarlet. "I mean..." she stuttered, trying to cover her fumble.

"Kara," Alex stepped in hastily, tossing her sister a lifeline. "Take a look around, see if you notice anything."

"Don't touch anything," Hank added as Kara moved away.

He turned to the two of them, "this facility manufactures sodium hypochlorite and ammonium nitrate."