Chapter 14: Advice Given

To all my fellow readers,

I am sorry if this chapter took a long time. I was very busy and I was also working on something for this book. (It's a secret!) I truly am sorry and anyways here's the chapter!

~Abigail

#

Year 6062

Planet Verlsia

05/03/6062

6:45 a.m.

#

Sophie's POV

#

I raced towards the bridge. There was smoke everywhere. Alexa floated behind me, huffing and puffing. An arrow whisked past my head. I pumped my legs faster.

"Wait, Sophie. I can't catch up!" Alexa yelled behind me. I slowed down my pace until Alexa caught up. Then I lifted her up and sprinted towards the bridge.

Soon, I reached the bridge. As I reached the middle of the bridge, I suddenly started to sink into it, as if the bridge was quick sand. I gasped, my horrified eyes meeting Alexa's terrified ones.

As I sunk until waist-level, an arrow came hurtling for Alexa. She screamed, but as she sank lower, she managed to dodge the arrow. So, instead of killing Alexa, the arrow lodged in my hand. My vision swam as I tried my best to dodge more arrows while slowly sinking into the bridge Alexa had already sunk in. I was losing too much blood.

After a few seconds, only my chin was bobbing above the bridge and I was feeling a bit light-headed. My vision was starting to have black-edges. I gulped for more air, but my lungs didn't seem to work

I am going to pass out soon. I thought.

I was right. I did pass out a few seconds later.

#

"Is she going to be okay?" Alexa's voice floated into my ears. "Trust me. She's going to be just fine." Another distant voice replied.

I tried to open my eyes. They were sealed firmly shut. I tried to move my hand, my foot, even my tongue, but nothing worked! What was happening?!

"You better lift her, Alexa." The distant voice said again. I think I should name it Distant. Distant said again, "The centaurs will soon find out where we are, so we got to move quickly. Sophie handled the smoke grenades well."

Silence. Distant broke the silence. "She's not that heavy." A sigh. "I will carry her then," Distant said. Strong arms heaved me up.

I only had one question. Where are we?

#

I have been in Distant's arms for twenty minutes now. Fear overcame me bit by bit. Where were we going? Are we going to die? Am I already dead? I tried to wriggle my fingers. Nothing. I tried my toes. Nothing. Arggh! Why can't I move?!

Fingers curled around my own. Whose fingers were that?! I inwardly screamed. I was freaking out in my mind. Was it even possible?! I tried to take deep calming breaths but my lungs weren't working.

"Calm down, Sophie," Distant said, laughing. "You are not going to die."

Oh my WORD, did he just talk to me? Am I hallucinating? "No, you are NOT, Sophie. I can hear your thoughts, that's all," Distant replied. "Thoughts of the other species are just fascinating."

I could sense Alexa gawking at Distant. "You are a mind-reader? Like I-can-hear-your-thoughts mind-reader?" Alexa asked skeptically. "Yes, merpus. I am a mind-reader, but I prefer you call me a telepath," said Distant.

"I am not a merpus. It's a tentamaid." I could hear Alex mutter. Distant laughed. His laugh was full of joy and umm... laughter. Duh!

"Isn't there a rule about privacy?" Alexa asked.

 "There is, but your thoughts are so loud that I can't even block it," Distant replied.

Where are we? I thought as loud as I could. "Sophie, tune it down. I can hear you," Distant said. "We are going to my actual home." Have we left the planet? I thought again. "No. We are still on the same planet, Sophie," Distant replied. "And my name is not Distant, it's Sterling."

Sterling. It has a nice touch to it. "Yep," Sterling agreed. "I like it."

We fell silent again. This is going to be a long walk.

#

I must have fallen asleep. I opened my eyes, and sat up on a hard wooden bench, groaning. I was in a white room. No windows, no doors, no anything. Except for a wooden bench I fell asleep on.

The first thought that came to me was this. I must be in a special hospital where psychopaths live. Wait. Then why am I not chained up? I have to find a way out of this.

I drummed my fingers on the bench. I always do that when I'm thinking. Is this a dream? I pinched my human hand. Ouch, that hurt! I continued drumming my fingers. The last time I was half-awake was when I was with Sterling. And Alexa. Where did they go?

A sliding noise interrupted my thoughts. I looked up. Alexa was standing at the doorway where a wall used to be, smiling. I smiled back, my mind still confused. "I got the advice!" She whispered excitedly. "These are the real keepers!"

I blinked. "You got the advice?" I asked. She nodded. "I got it when you passed out yesterday," she explained. I slept for a day?! "Did I sleep for a day?" I asked. "You passed out for a day," she corrected.

"Tell me what happened," I said. "Tell me everything." Alexa stared at me. I cleared my throat. "Tell me everything and stop gawking at me," I snapped.

Alexa cleared her throat. "Okay. They said we have to recruit other aliens. That's all." I fell out of the bench. "That's all?!" I yelled. "We are on a mission to save all the captured aliens and all they can think of is recruitment?!" I shrieked.

Alexa frowned. "Knew you will react like this," she murmured. "They told me loads of other stuff, but the conclusion is recruitment." "That changes everything." I muttered. "Can we get out of here now?"

No. A voice suddenly said in my head. Sterling's voice. I gasped. I lifted my eyes and saw a man with hazel hair outside the room, standing behind Alexa, his blue eyes narrowing at me. I glared back at him. He quirked a smile. What a mood-shifter.

#

"So, you guys are going to sleep here. No wandering around. Just here," Sterling ordered.

"Aren't we going to save the aliens already? We have no time," I whispered loudly to Alexa, just enough for Sterling to hear.

As if on cue, Alexa whispered loudly back. "I don't know. I think he's trapping us here." I shot a glance at Sterling. He had turned tomato red.

"I am NOT trapping you here. If you want to leave, LEAVE!" Sterling shouted, then stormed away. Alexa gawked at his back. I rolled my eyes. What a dramatic mood-shifter.

But now we had a mission to save the Celestial Universe, by -

Recruiting aliens.

I know right?!