. ⋅ ˚̣ episode 9 ˚̣⋅ .

all my better days are
ones spent with you.

the bell sounded once again, ringing through my ears and making me wince at how loud it was as i sat down at my desk, the majority of the class already seated with the remaining few scuttling in to join us all

we'd barely all settled down when mrs song began speaking.

"so as you all know, there is a mandatory project to complete over the course of this semester whilst the exchange students are here." she spoke, pausing for a breathe before continuing, "now before i explain what it is, i am allowing you to pick your partner's for this project so that you all feel as though you can comfortably complete it, but i am only allowing groups of two and no more."

i glanced over my shoulder, making sure not to turn my body too far around as to catch attention of our teacher, but i caught hyerin and jaemin's attention.

the corners of hyerin's lips turned downwards in a small frown whilst jaemin pouted slightly making me snicker quietly, however, i was slightly upset that i wouldn't be able to do the project with my best friends.

jaemin nodded his head into the direction some were next to me, and i turned to look at where he was gesturing to.

my eyes landed on chenle, as i realised that one of us would probably have to go with him.

mrs song started speaking again, gaining my attention and making me face my body towards her again, listening to what the project was about.

"this project isn't overly difficult but you will need to be independent and do it all by yourselves. obviously you can come to me for suggestions, but i can't help you organise your schedules."

schedules? it sounded interesting.

"it's required that you volunteer at atleast two organisations, whether that be teaching english at a language café, helping look after children at a nursery, making crafts with elderly people, or helping farmers, you need to spend a two weekends, atleast, volunteering."

once again, i glanced over at my two friends, who didn't look all too pleased.

"a whole weekend?" hyerin mouthed.

turning back to the teacher, chenle caught my eye as he looked at me briefly before quickly turning back to listen to mrs song.

"i'll explain a little further into detail tomorrow when you've picked your partners, but for now we need to get on with work."

sighing lowly, i grabbed my textbook and opened it to where we had left off as mrs song turned to the board and began scribbling notes down.

𝒅𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒈 ➷

"thank you for today, seniors, make sure to get your homework done so you can rest for the evening." mrs song called out as we all began packing away, thanking her in unison, standing up from our desks and grabbing our bags.

as i pushed my chair back under my desk, hoisting my backpack into my shoulder, i looked over at chenle's empty seat, his bag still tucked under his desk and books still sitting on top.

"they sure are keeping them for a long time." i heard jaemin say behind me as i turned around to see my two friends already waiting for me.

chenle had been asked to be pulled out of class a bit early by one of the staff members who helped with the exchange program, promising that he would be back in the class before the end of the day.

but that was clearly a lie just to get him out of class so he could go to yet another assembly of whatever kind.

"yeah..." i responded slowly, still watching his empty spot.

"anyway we need to go, or we're going to miss our bus." hyerin said, grabbing my arm and going to pull me towards the exit.

suddenly, i cried out, telling her to wait sternly as i forced myself to stop, making her freeze in place mid step.

"what?" she asked, with an annoyed expression, "we're really going to miss our bus, let's go."

"but i need to tell chenle that i'll bring money to pay him back tomorrow!" i declared rather loudly, as if it were a life or death situation.

i saw jaemin smirk slightly but i didn't pay any attention to him as hyerin spoke again, "naeun, we can't just wait for him, he could be another five minutes before he gets back out."

"you're right..." i said, looking at the floor and quickly trying to think of a solution.

"come on, we're gonna—" before she could finish the sentence, i yanked my arm out of her grip, hurrying over to chenle's desk and sliding my backpack off of my bag.

"naeun, come on!" hyerin complained, cursing slightly under her breathe.

i fumbled for the zip on my bag and pulled it open, sticking my hand into the main pocket and searching around for a small object, my hand landing on what felt like it and pulling it out.

placing the small pile of paper, evenly stuck together by the top, i ripped one of the pieces off, grabbing the pen chenle had been using during class, which was still on his desk, and scribbling a quick note down.

stuffing everything back into my back, i threw my bag back over my shoulder and stuck the sticky note into the top of chenle's textbook, a small grin spreading across my lips as i felt proud of my little idea.

i feel guilty about you buying me something, so let me pay you back tomorrow !! - naeun

"let's go, we don't want to miss our bus."