5: I GUESS ALWAYS ISN'T FOREVER AFTER ALL

Klaus: I decided to leave New Orleans for a few months after my return, in order to tie up any loose ends that dare try to ruin the new life I intended on building for myself. With the help of my brother Elijah, we remained in control of our precious city-- or so I thought. 

The vow always and forever was made by my brother Elijah and sister Rebecca after we were turned into vampires by our dear mother, and I had to escape from my vampire killing stepfather Mikael, in fear that one day he would kill me if I was ever found. We ran away together, never leaving each others side and staying true to our centuries old vow of "always and forever." I had many other siblings. My brother Kol and Finn and my siblings Freya and Hendrik whom both passed away while we were little. Kol and Finn popped in and out of lives from time to time, but us three remained together forever. 

Seeing Rebecca came as a shock, judging from the fact that she swore to never speak to the family ever again after a family conflict that couldn't be fixed I thought it was the end of vow and yet 50 years later here she stood with one of the most powerful items in the world, our family pendant. This pendant had the power to destroy anyone or anything supernatural  in the universe. All it took was the help of a willing witch and our blood to make it work. So much for the un-killable part. 

Now with the pendant and the white oak stake being the key to our destruction, you can see why I'm not the "trustworthy" nowadays. But after all these years, if Rebecca had returned home and had the pendant with her, there obviously was something wrong, and it was up to us to figure it out before it was too. 

"Little sister, would you care to enlighten us on the reason for your arrival?" Klaus asked. 

"Aw c'mon Nik, can't I just come to check in on my brothers. After all it has been half a century since we had our last reunion."

"Ah yes the one in which you nearly helped Mikael kill both me and Elijah simply because we couldn't grant your wish of being with Marcel." 

"Still holding onto old quarrels. How can we ever heal as a family if we keep living in the past."

Just as Elijah was about to speak Caroline entered the room. 

"Yeah sorry to interrupt the apparently much family therapy session, but I'm going to head out to see if I can find out any more information about Matt," Caroline said. 

"Aw no fair I'm supposed to be the only blonde. Trying to replace me already?" Rebecca snickered. 

"Aw dear sister, so easily threatened that you deem yourself as re-placable? Don't get so into your feelings. Caroline is an old friend looking for the same answers I am. " Klaus said

"Oh what trouble have you found yourself in now Niklaus?" Elijah questioned. "You just got back into town today."

"Well dear brother if you must know, it seems a certain enemy has killed her dearest friend on my behalf and I intend to know who they are so I can find them and give them a slow, agonizing, dreadful death. Would any of you care to join me?" Klaus asked merrily.

"Nik we have bigger problems than you playing hide and go seek with your enemies. The reason I'm back is because of the pendant. The box that I kept it in started glowing last night, meaning that..."

"Meaning that someone is trying to activate it. But why?" Elijah asked

"I have no clue, but whatever is coming, isn't going to be pretty." 

"Hello, yes I'm sorry to disrupt whatever is going on here but I'm going to go." Caroline said as she started walking towards the exit of the compound.

"No Caroline you are not going out there alone. I'm coming with you."

"Nik we are not done talking about this" Rebecca cried out. 

"We will talk about this later Rebecca. One problem at a time."

As Klaus and Caroline headed out into the streets of New Orleans, Rebecca and Elijah stayed behind at the compound fearful of what the future held. 

"What if this is what the witches described some time ago. What if this is the means of an end for  our immortal existence."

"Well we better make sure we figure out who is behind all this before it's too late." 

"What did your sister mean when she said that your family pendant glowed? Why is the such as bad thing?" Caroline asked as they crossed the busy streets filled with vendors selling tourist souvenirs and post cards. 

"Nothing of your concern. Let's focus on Matt now shall we."

"C'mon Klaus, I know you're hiding something from me. Why is the pendant so significant?" 

Klaus hesitated for a moment unsure if he should tell Caroline the true reason he and his siblings were so scared of the glowing pendant in their possession. 

"The pendant isn't just a family relic. It was created as a "backup plan" to kill me and my siblings in case the white oak stakes were gone for good. My mother wanted to ensure that no matter what happened, there'd always be a way for me and my siblings to die."

"Wait so you're telling me that pendant has the potential to kill the one supernatural creature that's supposed to never die?"

"Yes it looks that way,  but don't look too sad, we are figuring out a way to stop its power or break it before it's too late. Right now we need to find whoever is responsible for Matt."

"Why are you being so helpful? It's not like you to care so much for other people other than yourself."

"Well that's where you're wrong love. I could care less about your friend honestly. But seeing you in pain breaks my heart, so the only reason I'm doing this... is for you." 

There was the moment again. Gazing into each others eyes. Her feelings for him starting to stir back up. She quickly glanced away, not giving in to the temptation of letting him know what he felt for her was reciprocated. 

"So who can we talk to in order to figure out who did this to Matt?" Caroline asked, trying again to deflect from another moment her and Klaus shared. 

"I may have someone in mind, but you might not like who it is?" 

"What does that mean? " Caroline questioned.

"Do you trust me?" 

"Well when you put it like that I'm not entirely sure."

Klaus began to raise his eyebrow, giving me another smirk that made my heart flutter.

"Ugh fine. But only because it's for Matt. So where the hell are we going."

"Time for you to see another part of the my city. I hope you like mud because we're headed to the Bayou."