o. for them

People always ask, why do you do it? Why do you spend countless hours looking at gruesome photographs, taking pictures of corpses- mutilated, rotting, or pristine corpses

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

People always ask, why do you do it? Why do you spend countless hours looking at gruesome photographs, taking pictures of corpses- mutilated, rotting, or pristine corpses. Why study blood like a Christian study the Bible?

I often ask that myself. When I haven't slept for days because there's something slightly off about the crime scene, and I can't place it. When I drown myself with coffee, nothing but the liquid caffeine and pop tarts for sustenance. When my dark circles seem to be larger than my eyes, and every time I blink a new gruesome scene fills my head. Why, why do I do this?

Then I walk into Garcia's office, seeing her grin as I hand her the blood reports. Her vibrant personality infectious, laughter always found its way into her little office space. JJ's thankful, but sad smiles as I give her crime scene photos. The two women were like the sisters I'd never had. The tall, lanky boy who frequents the coffee machine just as much as I do. His doe-y brown eyes and shy smiles.

They're the reason I do it.

I do it to make my father proud, he a cop himself. My biological parents. The victims who have been saved because of the evidence I provided. The dead that get their revenge when their killers are caught.

The little girl I used to be, scared of my own shadow- and everything in between. I want that girl to know that she's safe, protected. That she shouldn't be afraid of being home alone anymore, or the woods, the dark, and people.

As I lie here, getting the most rest I've gotten in months, I can tell you for certain. Of sound mind and body, with shallow breaths and bleary vision.
I do it for them.
I'd do it all again, too.

I'm not scared anymore.