v. birthday blues

It had been a month since Izzy had joined the famed Behavioral Analysis Unit, and things seemed to have gone by without a hitch

It had been a month since Izzy had joined the famed Behavioral Analysis Unit, and things seemed to have gone by without a hitch. That was, until today. Isabelle always dreaded her birthday, it was the one day of the year that reminded her that she was put up for adoption. Although she was surrounded by love, the concept of being abandoned disheartened her. She even thought about calling in sick just to wallow in self-pity for the day, eating ice cream and watching her comfort films until she's brought to tears, but Spencer's knocks on her door motivated her to get ready.

He noticed her melancholy mood almost immediately, but left it alone, trying his best not to worsen her already sour disposition. The walk to work was a silent one, the doctor's presence by her side calmed her slightly, he always had that effect on her- so, if she used Spencer as a mental crutch, she'd get through the day a little bit easier.

They did their usual office routine, which consisted of her going into the elevator and Spencer waiting in the lobby for the next one to come down. Izzy gave him a halfhearted smile and wave as the doors closed, Spencer giving her one of his famous lopsided smiles.  He fiddled with the strap on his bag after pressing the elevator button, trying to think of what could've put his friend in such a mood.

"Do you two always do this?" The voice of David Rossi seemed to have come from thin air.

Spencer jumped at the sight of the Italian man behind him, swallowing the lump of nerves forming in his throat as he said, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Rossi just shook his head, smiling to himself, "Don't worry, kid," he assured, "Your secret's safe with me."

_

When Isabelle stepped out of the elevator, she tried her best to keep up her average demeanor, but the sight of a package on her desk made her frown. She told her dad not to send anything to her work address. She sighed, setting her bags down and eyeing the white parcel. There was no return address, which would seem odd to anyone else, but to Izzy- it was normal. This wasn't from her dad, it was from them. It started on her sixteenth birthday, a blank envelope containing a birthday card showed up in the mail. She didn't tell her dad about it, not wanting to worry him, but every year after that there would be a card, or a package containing a small gift.

"Ooh, what'd you get?" Emily asked, grinning at the package. A coffee cup was in her hand as she peered over the blonde's shoulder.

"Is there more of that in the breakroom?"  She asked, nodding to Prentiss's coffee cup before grabbing her scissors from her desk and working on getting the package open, ignoring the woman's question. Emily just watched on in curiosity as Spencer entered the bullpen.

He set his bag in his desk chair before furrowing his brows in question, "What's that?"

Izzy let out a sigh, quickly swiping the edge of the scissors across the box's taped flaps- but careful not to swing out and cut Emily, "It's a birthday present."