Chapter Two

By the time I got back and grabbed my bag to drive back home, it was already time for lunch. But looking at Grandma's three missed calls in my phone, I decided to skip lunch and just start driving already.

I shouldn't have told her I'll be coming back.

Sighing, I placed the bag in the trunk and everything else I needed and started the car.

It was close to midnight by the time I arrived. I could see my Grandma settled in her rocking chair on the porch with the lights on. I shook my head and looked around before parking.

Our house was the nearest one to the woods. In fact, Grandma used to tell me that the woods were like our very own backyard back when I was a child. Where other people used to avoid taking the routes near the woods, my Grandma and I used to go for a walk in the woods every Sunday morning.

Sometimes, we even used to bring back fruits and berries from the trees around. Surprisingly, there were a huge amount of trees bearing fruits and bushes loaded with berries.

I parked my car in the front and got my bags out. After making sure the car was locked completely, I made my way over to her.

"Welcome home," she said without even looking up from the book she was reading.

With her head bent down, her hair looked more white than before, there was barely any visible black hair anymore. She adjusted the thick glasses perched on the bridge of her nose before turning over the page.

"Aren't you cold sitting out here?" I asked after placing the bags beside her and kneeling down in front of her.

She looked up from her book and gave me a smile. "I needed some fresh air." She patted my head and closed her book. "Dinner is ready. Let's go."

"How did you know that I haven't had dinner yet?" I asked once I'd put my stuff in my room, showered and finally settled down on the dining table with her.

There were so many dishes placed on the table, most of them my favourites, but all of them were what I had missed during my time away. Grandma and I used to prepare dinner together until I left for university. It didn't even matter what we were cooking, I just loved being able to let her know about my day while she told me about her.

"I didn't, I just wanted to talk to you while I eat." Her tone held amusement as she started serving everything on a plate.

"Self service." She said, putting the loaded plate in front of her before eating a spoonful.

I laughed and shook my head before I served some for myself and started eating. I don't know about Grandma but I ate until I felt like my stomach was about to explode.

Once done, I leaned back in my chair and placed my chopsticks over the rim of the bowl. "I'll clean up in a moment." I let out with a yawn and dropped my head back with my eyes closed.

Few seconds later, I heard dishes being moved and picked up from the table. "Grandma, I'll do it. You can go to bed." Stretching my hands above my head, I moved from side to side before getting up.

"I can see you're exhausted. Go to sleep." Grandma said, carrying the dishes back to the kitchen and placing them in the sink. She came back to carry more dishes and placed them one over another in her arms.

"But-" I stopped to yawn again before continuing. "I'll be quick and then go to bed." I moved to get the dishes from her but she moved away swiftly.

"Go." She gave me a smile before heading back to the kitchen.

"I'll make it up to you. Promise." I said, heading upstairs to get my room.

"Okay!" I heard Grandma from downstairs before I closed the door of my room and retired for the night.