Chapter Eighteen

After our sweet and warm moment in the woods, Nicolas and I continued on our way again. But this time he wasn't walking ahead of me. We walked right beside each other, closer than ever before.

Our arms touched every now and then until I realized that we both were subconsciously brushing our arms against each other so frequently. The realization added a hop to my steps and I beamed every time I felt his warmth through my side.

By the time we reached past the trees and at the edge of the woods, the sun had already set and things were barely visible anymore. Nicolas stopped all of a sudden when we neared the last row of the trees.

"I can't go past here." He whispered, looking at my house in the distance.

I looked over to him, trying to decide if I should ask for the reason or not.

He seemed to have understood my confusion as he started on his own. "The last time I left..." He trailed off but it was enough to remind me what he was talking about.

My hand went to his back and moved in circles, trying to comfort him.

"I can't risk it again." He finished with a defeated sigh.

"You don't have to. My house is right there." I pointed to my house's backside a few feet ahead. "I'll be fine."

When he still didn't look up, I continued. "I said, it's okay." I pressed my hand harder against his back before stepping away. "I'll be going now."

I started walking backward in the direction of my house while still facing him. "I'm going for real."

When he still didn't look up, I let out a frustrated sigh and turned around to finally be on my way. "Bye then." I waved with my back to him and started walking again.

"Bye." A whisper came a few more steps later, making me smile wide.

I turned around instantly and grinned at him. His expression wasn't clear under the moonlight, but in mind, he was grinning just as widely as I was.

Turning back around, I walked home, humming some random song I couldn't remember the lyrics of. Just like the day of my arrival, grandma was seated in her rocking chair right on the porch. Her hands clasped in her lap as she stared straight ahead with her chair completely still.

I sat down beside her feet without a word and both of us just watched the cars passing by in silence.

"Hungry?" She asked when my stomach growled loudly.

"Starving." I answered, suddenly remembering I hadn't eaten anything all day.

Grandma and I headed in and I helped her put her chair back in before settling down at the dining table.

"I'm guessing everything is okay now." She said, before taking the first bite.

I already had my mouth full and incapable of talking, so I just nodded excitedly.

She chuckled. "I'm glad."

"Me too." I said, swallowing the food in my mouth.

Grandma and I had moved to the living room after dinner while I told her about my day. She was seated on the couch and I sat on the floor with my head resting against her knee. "I still have a lot of questions, but I think we'll be okay."

Her hand was caressing my hair and I felt completely content with my life. "As long as I don't have to see you crying anymore, I'll be happy."

It felt extremely embarrassing hearing her say that. "I know, I'm too old to be crying still."