Chapter Forty Two

Just a quick note for those who read the last chapter before today. I have edited out the whole hallucination part from the previous chapter. Now it's more along the lines of Raymond asking Blue if he's in a relationship where Blue says yes. That's it. You can give it a quick read if you want, if not that's all that was changed. 

Another thing, I do appreciate constructive criticism and since I'm still writing this book, I haven't really decided the whole plot (except the ending - it was decided way before I started writing this). So, yh, if there are parts that don't add up or feel weird, feel free to let me know so I can fix it. That's all. Thank you for reading up until now. 

_____________

Raymond slowed down his steps just as he neared my desk. "Are you still not done?"

Hearing his annoyed voice, I looked at him in surprise. 

He gave me an impatient look and I shook my head. "Not yet. I'll need half an hour more." 

He exhaled loudly and knocked his knuckles over the top of my desk. "Hurry up then." 

When he finally left, I turned to look at the guy sitting beside me. Henry gave me a confused look and I just shrugged. It was truly appalling how within a day Raymond went from extending my deadline just so he could have lunch with me to telling me to hurry up about the file I had received merely a few minutes ago. 

I let out a sigh in disappointment before getting back to work again. 

~~~

"I'm starving. Let's go." Tay whined, poking my arm from behind. 

I stood up right away. The day had been nothing short of almost impossible to get through. My fingers felt like they were about to fall off after typing away for so long without a single break. If this was how difficult it was going to be working from now, I wasn't sure how long I was going to last. 

Even my butt felt sore from sitting in the uncomfortable chair for hours and I just couldn't wait to be back in my bed without having to worry about my next agonising encounter with Raymond. I stretched my back and arms above my head before tidying up my desk and putting stuff back in my bag. 

"So? You still haven't gotten in touch with Nicolas?" Tay asked just as I was about to step away from my desk. 

Almost instinctively I looked around to see if anyone was within hearing distance. Once I had made sure, I shook my head. "Not yet." 

"It's been what, a week?" Tay questioned in disbelief and I nodded. "Are you sure it's nothing serious?" 

I clutched my bag's strap and started walking ahead of him to hide the guilt probably clear as day on my face. "I really don't know." 

Tay followed behind me right away. His loud footsteps echoing on the otherwise quiet floor. "His family members aren't telling you anything?" 

I fastened my steps, talking about this in the place I was working didn't seem like the best idea. "I am in touch with his brother. Don't worry." 

I heard him scoff before he spoke. "How can I not worry? You haven't really been yourself since you came back. You are lost in your thoughts all the time. When was the last time we spoke? As friends, not just colleagues or flatmates." 

I stopped in my tracks. His loud voice was ticking me off. A frown took over my face and I could feel myself getting annoyed. "Can we not discuss my love life here?" I whispered harshly and looked around once again to make sure no one was around. "We work here for God's sake."