Chapter 5

------------------> IT WAS HARD TO BELIEVE that it had already been five weeks since they had started Hogwarts

A routine had been established that consisted of breakfast, classes, lunch, more classes, taking a walk near the lake, chatting in the Common Room and doing homework, going to dinner and then finishing up some more homework and then talking together again.

Cordelia wrote home every single week. She told her parents about how she made friends with excellent pure-blood families such as Abbot, Macmillan, Fawley, Marchbanks and an American named Troy Rogers. She wrote about whatever they did in school that day and how Friar Avery lost control of his broom and ended up falling into the Black Lake during their first ever broom class. 

She wrote that her friendship with Sirius was still going strong (and that he had copied her reasoning for not going into Slytherin, but rather took it one step further and forced the hat to put him to Gryffindor; for who could ever suspect a perfect, noble lion for being dark?) and how she had even made friends with James Potter (whose mother was the formidable Dorea Black) and she also wrote about how her classes were going on.

She was secretly glad that Mrs Black had written to some people about her apparent reasoning for not going into Slytherin because not once had she been called a blood-traitor yet. They all believed her reason, and some Slytherin upper-years had even smirked at her with a look that said, 'I know what you are upto and good job'. 

She knew that she shouldn't have to care what other people thought (Sirius didn't seem like he did) and that a blood-traitor wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but for some reason, she cared. And so she was going to continue keeping up this facade of being the cunning, manipulative Slytherin the hat had told her she was in order to be the accepting, supportive Hufflepuff that she wanted to be. 

Sirius and James introduced her to their roommates, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew. Sirius told her that he was beyond shocked when he didn't receive a howler from his mother about his sorting until she confessed about the letter she sent about him. Sirius had hugged her long and hard because she knew that no matter how much he claimed to hate his family, there would always be a small part of him that wanted their acceptance. Cordelia simply smiled.

------> 0o0 <------

Cordelia and Sophia were walking along the corridors when somebody bumped into her, making her fall.

"Sorry girls," James said as he and Sirius helped both of them back on their feet again. "Didn't see you there." 

"It's fine," Sophia replied with a smile.

"What's got the two of you in a rush?" Cordelia asked. "Treacle tarts about to run out?" 

"Don't jinx it!" said Sirius, wide eyed. "Quick. Knock on wood." 

Cordelia rolled her eyes but did indeed knock on a wooden box nearby. 

"What's wrong? Is everything alright?" Sophia repeated.