Chapter 25

Max was tired the next day. It felt like something had happened in his sleep, but he couldn't remember what it was. He'd gone to sleep when they'd gotten back to camp last night. He didn't remember anything from his dreams, so Bill must have left him alone. That made Max a little bit happier because he was tired of Bill questioning him and messing with him.

                                              Max got up and made some coffee. He felt a little bit better after that, so he walked out of the tent and went to the Mess Hall. He was going to actually eat today and be less hard on himself about everything. What his mother wanted shouldn't dictate what Max did. Max walked into the room and went in line for breakfast.  Once he got it, he went to his usual table. Dipper, Mabel, Nikki and Neil joined him.

                                      "Hey!" Nikki greeted. Max waved, feeling a little bit weird. Why were they suddenly talking to him again? Was this some sort of trick?

                                                         "Max....we wanted to say that we're sorry for the way we treated you. You didn't deserve it, and that was horrible of us to do." Dipper said awkwardly. Max shrugged. Dipper seemed genuine about it, so maybe it wasn't a trick. 

                                                 "It's ok." Max replied casually. The others smiled and sat down. As they ate their lunch, Gwen and David came in. Max groaned. What did boring camp-man want anyway?

                                                                     "Ok, campers! Today's the annual Northwest Party! As usual, we will be sitting outside, hoping to get in." David exclaimed. The campers looked at each other nervously. Max groaned again.  A stakeout? Didn't that seem a bit desperate?

                                                                     "I met Pacifica once or twice. She seems...nice." Max told his friends. Dipper raised an eyebrow, looking oddly weirded out.

                                                "Pacifica Northwest? Nice? I don't think so." Dipper said. Max paused. Dipper had to be lying. He had that look in his eyes that made Max think there was more to the story. Pacifica must have been telling him the truth.

                                      "Well she sure seemed to have a good opinion of you. In fact, she got all excited when I mentioned you and Mabel went here." Max told him casually. Dipper groaned.

                                                               "She's the worst, and I would say that to her face." Dipper deadpanned. A knock sounded on the Mess Hall door. Dipper opened it up. It was Pacifica. She'd barely opened her mouth before Dipper spoke. "You're the worst." Dipper said, slamming the door shut. Everyone gasped.

                                                "Dipper, that was very rude! I want you to open that door and apologize!" David said, a stern look on his face.

                                                       "Dipper! This is our chance to go to a fancy place. Please!" Nikki exclaimed. Dipper sighed. Max watched in amusement as Pacifica explained something to Dipper. Her eyes wandered around until she saw Max. Pacifica waved him over.

                                              "Dipper and Max, I have a job for you. I have a ghost haunting at the manor again, and it'll ruin the party! We need your help. I'll give you anything you want in return!" Pacifica said. 

                                                                "Again?" Max wondered aloud. Dipper sighed.

                                    "Last summer, there was a ghost haunting at Pacifica's party. She hired me to help....I guess the ghost came back this year...but Pacifica, why didn't you just open the gates?" Dipper asked.