prologue

October 13, 1988

The rain pounded heavily on the glossy panes of Bill Denbrough's window.  Bill himself was incapacitated, lying in bed with a cold and a slight fever.  His mood was damp and dreary, the perfect match to the gloomy autumn weather that had made its presence outside of his house.  Bill drew in a long, weighted sigh, his shoulders heaving as he rubbed his sore temples.  

"Billy!" Georgie, Bill's younger brother barged into his room, calling out Bill's nickname.  A boy of only six years, Georgie was a generally happy child, with an apparent air of innocence and a sunny disposition, and, unlike some people, a rainy day could not seem to put a damper on his gleaming personality.  "Can you come play with me?" He quipped eagerly.  Bill rubbed his temples once again in response.  "Please?" He continued, a whiny tone pervading his light voice.

"No G-Georgie, I'm s-s-sick," Bill said in response to the boy's antics.  

"Come on Billy, please?" 

"No Georgie.  You k-know I would come with you if I w-weren't sick, but un-unfortunately I'm dying," his last two words broken up by a cough.  Georgie giggled.

"You're not dying Billy!" He uttered out between laughs.

"I'm n-n-not? But, d-didn't you see the vomit coming out of my nose this m-morning?" Bill said in an attempt to convince his brother of his unfortunate condition.  Georgie, surprisingly, bought the lie, and simply grunted disgustedly in response.

"Fine." Georgie's eyes wandered aimlessly around Bill's room, catching on a newspaper boat that Bill had crafted just minutes before.  He stumbled over to the boat and picked it up carefully, turning to address Bill. "Hey Billy! Can I take this out in the rain? Y'know, to sail it?" Bill sighed yet again, but nodded his head in submission.  

"Just g-go get the p-p-paraffin wax.  It's in t-the cellar." Georgie's expression dropped, and was replaced with one of fear. 

"T-the cellar?"  Georgie hesitated, stuttering just like his older brother.  Bill sensing Georgie's discomfort, tried to reassure him. 

"You want it to f-f-float, don't y-you?"  Georgie nodded solemnly, and set out on his mission.  He descended the creaking stairs of his house, as he heard his mother playing a drawn-out rendition of Fur Elise.  He carefully made his way through his house and into the cellar, cracking open the door and entering.  He grasped at the light switch, but as he flicked it on, no light turned on.  Inhaling deeply, he scoured around the cellar with his eyes, in search of only the wax.  His eyes landed on the container, which was seated right at the base of the stairs.  Preparing himself, he drew a breath in, and then bounded down the stairs, hastily grabbing hold of the wax.  He ran back up the staircase, throwing the door shut behind him and leaning over his knees to catch his breath.  After he was sure the cellar door was closed, he made his journey back to Bill's room once more.  As he walked in, he saw Bill at his desk, leaning over the paper boat.  He approached Bill, leaning over his shoulder and seeing that the words S.S. Georgie had been inscribed on the side of the boat.  He smiled softly, then handed Bill the wax.  

"Thanks," Bill muttered in response.  He carefully took the brush from the top of the wax container and spread it evenly on the folds of the boat, making sure not to miss the inside of his creation.  "S-She's all done."

"She?"  Georgie quipped, confused at Bill's choice of words.

"You c-call boats, she, G-Georgie,"

At this, the younger boy cracked a smile.  "She," he said affirmatively.

 He gently blew on it, then handed it to Georgie, who gingerly took it.

"Thanks Billy!" He yelled as he once again ran through Bill's doorway.  Bill looked out after him as he made his way through the hallway adjacent to Bill's door, and down the staircase.  He pushed himself out of his chair, retrieving the walky-talky he had sitting atop his armoire.  He trudged back to the window, watching as Georgie descended through the front door, now clad in  a yellow raincoat and matching galoshes.  He flicked his walky-talky on.

"Be safe," he said to Georgie, his voice pointed.  Georgie turned back towards Bill's window, waving to signify that he had received Bill's message, and then continued down the street, setting the boat in the gutter of the puddle-ridden road.  Bill turned around, a soft smile once again finding its way onto his face.  He nodded definitively, and resumed his previous post in his cushiony bed, well-deserved sleep soon finding him.

But that was the last time that Bill, or anyone for that matter, would ever see Georgie Denbrough again.

Word Count - 837

Alright everyone! This is the very first chapter of this book, let me know what you all think!! I'm seriously so excited to be writing this, as it is my first book here on Wattpad.  Alright, happy reading!  

xx, ur actual mom