chapter twelve - vulnerable

Big TW for abuse in this chapter. If you don't feel comfortable reading please skip and dm me for a summary!!  If any of you ever find yourself in a situation like this, know that this is NOT HEALTHY.  Please reach out to someone , feel free to just message me and I can refer you to a hotline or even just listen to you if you need to vent. 

After the discussion that had occurred at Ben's house, you and Richie rode home in silence.  An eerie atmosphere engulfed the two of you as you parked your bikes in your garage, failing to notice your father's car parked up against the other side of the carport.  You walked up to the hatch leading into your house, turning the knob and pushing the wooden door open.  It fell open with an ominous creak, the stench of alcohol hitting your nose as you stepped over the scratched up threshold.  

You walked inside, setting your bag down on the kitchen table before moving towards the sink to wring out your hair a bit more.  Unfortunately, your hair had a tendency to stay wet long after you had submerged it, which almost never seemed to work in your favor.  And it just so happened that this was one of those days where it didn't.  

"I thought I told you not to swim today, pumpkin,"  You heard a gravelly voice say from behind you, the words slurred and venomous.  You jumped, the corners of your mouth downturning as you felt your father's presence right behind you.  You slowly turned around, facing the imposing man in front of you, your gaze downcast.  

"Look at me."  You gulped, shaking your head in resistance.  You heard a slight growl from before you, your father's rage like boiling water against the fragile lid of a pot.  "You know I don't like to get angry with you darling.." 

You cringed, shoulders tensing and body convulsing with an unfortunately noticeable tremor. Your father grunted at this, a barely controlled roar erupting from his mouth. 

"Are you really that scared of me? Huh?"  He shouted out, extending a rough hand to grab your fragile jaw.  You cried out in pain as he flung your chin upwards, forcing you to meet his eyes.  "Huh?"  He was seething now, your incompetence serving as fuel to his ugly, ugly flame.  "Explain yourself, or I swear to god, I will see to it that you never leave this house, ever again."  He paused, speaking under his breath.  "I will make sure that you never leave me."

Your eyes widened in fear, gaze darting skittishly across his features as you stood, nearly paralyzed.  You didn't know what to do, you didn't know what to say.  "F-Father, I didn't swim, I swear!" You blurted out, concocting a remarkably unbelievable excuse.  "I.. I just got splashed, I didn't mean to I promi-"

"HEY!"  He yelled out.  "Don't you lie to me darling.  You know how much I hate liars."

"Father, I promise, I'm not l-"

"QUIET! You listen to me when I am speaking and you speak when prompted, got it?"  You gulped heavily, shaking your head in an affirmative fashion.  Apparently, however, this was not enough for your father, who returned your silence with a panic-inducing sneer.  

"I said do you understand!"  He barked.  

"Y-Yes father!"  You stuttered, voice clipped and panicky.  

"Good.  Now you listen, and you listen well.  Those boys.  Those... those insolent little boys.  I know what they think about you.  They don't care about you sweetheart, and when you just go around showing yourself off to men, that makes you dirty.  It makes you a little... a little whore.  And if you can't seem to get that through your head, I'll have to help you along a bit."  

By this point, your father was wearing a pitiful expression, his eyebrows downturned and his frown lines accentuated as he peered down at your quivering form.  However, you could tell that this was a mere facade, that underneath his layers of feigned wisdom and protection was a sinister man, one that wore an unforgiving smirk and had an air of pure malevolence around him.