chapter nine - the pharmacy

"Here, come on Bill, get him on the back of Silver," you said as you mounted your yellow bike, nodding to Ben.  Bill ducked his head in response, motioning for the pudgy boy to climb on the back of his bike.  

"Guys, c'mon, are we really doing this? I mean... what if he has aids? What if- what if he's diseased?" Eddie said, his voice raising an octave with each word he spoke.  You all collectively shook your heads, dismissing the boys ramblings as you began to ride through town.  

As you grew closer to the pharmacy, you began to listen once more to the smaller boy who has somehow been talking during the entire ride.

"I think it's great that we're helping the new kid, but we also need to think of our own safety.  I mean, he's bleeding all over and you guys do know that there's an aids epidemic happening right now as we speak, right?" Eddie said, his voice rushed.

"My mom's friend in New York City got it by touching a dirty pole on the subway," he continued.  "A drop of aids blood got into his system through a hangnail. A hangnail!  And you can amputate legs and arms. But how do you amputate a wa-- How do you amputate a waist?"  

You rolled your eyes at Eddie as you and the boys rounded the corner that led to the alleyway behind the pharmacy.  You leaned your bike up against the wall, watching worriedly as Ben clumsily sat down on a wooden crate.  

"You guys do know that alleys are known for dirty needles that have AIDS, right? You guys do know that? Hey..."  Bill ignored the smaller boy, cutting off his speech.

"Let's go get s-supplies," he said, his voice uncertain. "R-Richie, wait here,"  Richie squinted after you all as you began to bound down the street and into the store. 

"Glad I got to meet you before you died," Richie said to Ben, face unconcerned.

You ran ahead of the boys, pushing the door to the pharmacy open.  You held it open for the others, the sound of the tinkling bell that signified your entrance ringing throughout your ears.  After all the boys had loaded themselves into the store, you followed after, watching in half wonder and half annoyance as Eddie raided the shelves of the pharmacy as though he was nothing more than a rabid animal.  Twisting your mouth to the side, you turned to Stanley, who was standing next to you.  You realized that you hadn't really spoken to him since the awkward conversation that took place at Eddie's house, which wasn't very normal.  You two were usually quite the talkative pair.

You cleared your throat and began to speak, your voice thick and somewhat convoluted.  "S-Stan," you said. "I need to go grab a comb, would you mind telling the others where I'm going?" you asked, forcing a small smile onto your lips.  Stanley faced you, slightly shocked at your presence.  He wordlessly nodded, an awkward blush creeping onto his face.  "Th..Thanks," You said, stumbling over your words.  You turned away from the taller boy, squeezing your eyes shut out of annoyance.

'Jesus. You just had to be fucking awkward, didn't you.  Just be normal, honestly, talk like a person.  It's not that fucking hard, you know.' You internally scoffed at your self-deprecating thoughts, lightly banging your hand against your head as you rounded the corner and began to walk towards the hair and makeup aisle.  

You stood in front of the wall of beauty products, a bright florescent light flickering above your head.  As you scanned your eyes over the various brushes and combs that stood in front of you, your gaze landed on a light pink comb, exactly the one you were looking for.  You checked the price- $3.75.  You only had two dollars in your pocket.  Your shoulders fell as your eyebrows dropped down defeatedly.  You glanced back up at the comb, biting your lip as you began to think.  

'I could.. no I shouldn't, it's been a long time.. but..'  

You darted your eyes around the store, looking for any trace of Mr. Keene.  You carefully reached out, grasping the comb in front of you.  You held it gingerly in your hands as you walked to the other side of the aisle, pretending to browse the items that lie there.  Taking one last look around the store, you stuffed the comb into the pocket of your sweater, butterflies climbing up your stomach as you did so.