chapter five - you're going down

June 7, 1989

The bell of the Denbrough household rung out as you stood casually on the front porch of Bill's house, Richie in tow.  You smiled as you heard a pair of feet run through the house, followed by the door in front of you being flung excitedly open.

"H-Hey guys! Come o-on in!" Bill said. You walked into the house, the familiar smell of it overtaking you.  "The rest of the b-boys are already up in my room, you t-t-two can go ahead and g-go upstairs," he said ruefully as you and Richie nodded.  Your mood dropped a bit as you caught sight of the various overturned picture frames on the shelves and mantle in Bill's house, but simply turned away sadly, shaking your head and beginning your trek up the staircase.  You walked through the hallway, your eyes catching on Georgie's room.  You remembered that day, when was it, perhaps back in October, when you had come to Bill's house to try and offer him some consolation.  'Jesus,' you thought, your mood turning melancholic.  'That feels like years ago.' You pursed your lips and continued walking until you reached Bill's bedroom, reaching for the door handle, but your motion was stopped by a certain trashmouthed brother of yours.  Richie screeched as he flung the door open, bounding into the room, only to be met with the startled stares of Stan and Eddie.  

"Hola muchachos!" Richie screamed excitedly, leaping onto Bill's bed.  You and Bill watched him from the doorway as he fixed his previously askew glasses and relaxed back onto the palms of his hands.  After a small silence you spoke.

"Way to make an entrance Richie," you said, your eyes crinkling at the corners as the rest of the boys let out a small chuckle.  You made your way into the bedroom, propping your elbows against the back of the desk chair that Stan was sitting on.  You saw him tense up a bit, to which Richie let out a fit of laughs, met by Stan giving him what you could assume was one of his famous glares and a shake of his head.  

"Yup," Richie said with a growing smirk. "But not as good of an entrance as I made last night into Eddie's mom's v-" he was cut off by Eddie, who smacked him on the back of his head and screamed out a hasty "Beep beep, Richie!" 

"Alright you two, enough flirting," you said. Eddie gave you a harsh, yet surprised glare and scrunched up his nose while Richie's already magnified eyes grew larger, shifting his glance subtly between you and the smaller boy, and this time, it was Stan's turn to laugh.  After having observed their reactions, Bill spoke.

"W-what should we do f-first?" He questioned.  Stan tilted his head slightly, thinking. 

"Well, we could play on the NES," Richie suggested.  

"That sounds good," you said, taking your elbows off of the chair and sitting down on the floor next to it.  You loved a good video game, and a good competition for that matter, and looked to Stan as he began to spoke. 

"Sure," he said, smiling.  You were a bit taken aback by this.  Stan smiling was about as rare as Richie shutting up for more than two minutes, but you certainly welcomed both things.  

"The NES it is, t-then!" Bill said, leaving his room in pursuit of his basement.  

After you had all made your way down to the basement, Bill walked towards a closet, opening its doors and tracing his eyes over the various games sitting inside of it.  He caught sight of the NES, taking it from its place in the closet and bringing it over to the television.  He connected it to the dusty AV cable, and set the console down on the floor in front of the TV, along with Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight, and Legend of Zelda.  

"A-alright, what do we want to play first? I h-have two c-controllers, so we'll just h-have to take turns," at the mention of this, an idea came into your mind.