seven.

johnathan walked home after that date, giddier than he'd ever felt. there was a buzzing in his chest from how fast his heart was beating and his smile wouldn't go away. he wanted to scream to the world how happy he was, which was pretty unusual for him. he was a private person, you see, he liked to keep his life to himself and his close circle. 

it was almost ironic, how he preferred to keep his life to himself but his job required him to be broadcasted to the world. not to say he didn't like his job, but he wished people would be less involved in his life away from the camera.

he got back to thinking about the kid from the thrift shop earlier, asking if him and (y/n) were dating. it had been pretty uncomfortable for him, and he hoped it hadn't been so much so for her too. he was worried that what he'd said to the kid would get out on the internet or something and he'd be labeled as an asshole, but he knew that most of his fans respected him enough to stand on his side.

finally arriving at his house, johnathan pulled his key ring out of his pocket and unlocked the front door to head inside. his mom and dad were sitting in the living room, watching some show on the t.v. his mom peered over the edge of the couch, a devious grin on her face.

"how'd the date go honey?" she cooed at him, his father pausing the show and turning to smile at him as well, "where'd you guys go? what's in your hand?"

"it went great mom, this was a present she got me. we went to the thing and just shopped around and got dinner afterwards," he headed towards the basement door, his parents continuing their relentless teasing even as he descended the stairs.

going into his bedroom, he took off his shoes and his sweater and tossed them on the floor. he'd pick them up later, right now, he was going to text (y/n). he sent a quick message before going into his recording room and sitting down at his computer. discord was already open and his friends had been apparently spamming him. there was a call going on in the group dm he had with the rest of lunch club, to which he joined and heard them all go silent.

"what? why'd everyone go quiet?" he raised an eyebrow at their giggling.

"carson told us you went on a date!" travis exclaimed, and johnathan choked a little on his water.

"uh, yeah, i did, why?"

"you're gonna tell us about it, aren't you?" noah quipped, and johnathan could hear the smirk in his voice even without seeing his face, "the one and only johnathan schlatt can't tell us he went on a date and not tell us how it went,"

"yeah, you complained about being single for so long," charlie joined in. the rest of lunch club kept joking about it until johnathan finally caved and told them all about it. he'd never really had friends to geek out over stuff like this before, and getting to get all gushy about a girl with his friends was nice. he felt almost like a high school student again.

"so," carson started, shuffling being heard from his mic until an echoing voice boomed through it, "are you gonna ask her out?" everyone laughed and yelled at carson a bit, johnathan included, however he fell quiet.

the call slowly dispersed, and johnthan had been pretty successful at avoiding the question from everyone. after most of them had logged off, it was just him and carson left.

"you never answered my question earlier, schlatt," carson questioned, "penny for your thoughts? you went awful quiet after i asked it,"

"i just want to take it slow. all of my past relationships progressed really fast and, as cliche as it sounds, (y/n) doesn't strike me as the same kind of girl as my past relationships," he twiddled his thumbs as he spoke, fidgeting with the pen on his desk at the same time, "i also don't want to scare her off y'know? but i know that's stupid because she didn't say anything bad when i told her about my channel, i even showed her a video and she loved it!"

"when she was on the server with us and cooper, she seemed like a good match for you," carson started, looking into his webcam, "i think you're doing everything right with her, and i think she does like you. i mean, she asked to go out with you again, didn't she? and she gave you a kiss!"

"it was just on the cheek--"

"doesn't matter, she liked the night enough to give you a kiss! doesn't that say something? or am i just shit at relationships?"

"both," johnathan joked, checking the time, "goddamn, it's like 2 am for me, i've gotta retire for the night man," the both of them said their goodnights before the call ended and johnathan shut down his setup. once he was wrapped up in his bed and drifting off to sleep, he thought a little bit more about (y/n). 

maybe carson was right, maybe she did like him a bit more than he thought.