Chapter 1

Penny always knew there was something different about her then the rest of her family. Penny was dark; dark brown hair, tan skin and honey brown eyes that almost looked orange. All her siblings were light; brownish blond hair, easily burned skin and bright blue eyes. Her Dad thought she just got all the recessive genes, for some of Pennys uncles were slightly darker. Her Mother and Grandmother knew different. They both swore never to tell a soul, unless of course the monsters caught her scent and they'd be forced to send her away. But Penny's mother never got the chance to see her daughter safe after the attack. They came quickly one night and lit a fire to the house, hoping to kill the young demi-god inside. These people knew what she was destined to do, what havak she could bring to the escaped souls. 
    Penny's grandmother knew better. She had Penny stay the night at her place just in case. For she was smart, much like her grandmother who was long deceased. Penny was safe, her location unknown to the evil souls wishing death upon her. But her biggest regret would be not acting fast enough, not doing all she could to save the rest of the family that burned in the fire. In a way she blamed Penny for their painful death, she knew it wasn't the girls fault, but a part of her truly believed Penny had brought this terrible fate onto her daughters family.
    In the morning she would have to send Penny away. On a plane directly to New York. She would have to tell Penny about the fire. She dreaded that moment. Penny was always laughing, always cracking a joke. The death of her family might break that smile in two, and on top off that she was days away from finding out her true heritage. But Penny was strong, stronger then most people would assume.
    In the morning Penny woke early like she normally does. Usually she would watch the sunrise from her window, but it was the beginning of July and the sun rose too early to watch. When she walked out of the room she immediately took notice of her grandmother's sad face.
"What wrong with you, did someone die?" Penny said it more of a joke than a real question. But you never know with old people; their friends are dropping dead like flies. Penny expected her grandmother's sad mood to be caused by something silly like her flowers getting eaten by the local deer, which happened a lot since they lived in the country.
When her grandma's face didn't smile up at her penny knew it was more then some eaten flowers. "Good you're awake. Quike get your bag we're leaving." her grandma sounded rushed, like at any moment a murderer was gonna barge in and kill them all.
"Leaving? Did my mom really miss me that much?" without another word Penny grabs her things and heads out to the red car. They start driving towards the town without conversation. Penny can tell her grandma is sensitive right now, which makes her nervous. Sad people, tears, and hugs as always made Penny uncomfortable, like why do they have to show so much emotion in front of you? Just grab a tissue and go.
"Um grandma my house is that way" they had turned right instead of left. Penny looked to the left and saw a curl of dark thick smoke heading towards the clouds. Wow somebody must have burned their chicken pretty bad. Penny looked ahead to where her grandma was headed; the airport. This airport was small with only a few planes going to neighboring big cities.
"Penny something happened. There was a fire and your family didn't make it. Now you need to be strong and do what I saw. You get on this flight to Calgary and from there you have a direct flight to New York. From there go to the south of Long Island and look for the hill. You go there, you'll be safe there ok?" Penny was confused, her family dead? What? Her inside felt like they turned to stone. This couldn't be real. Her mind couldn't, didn't believe it.
"New york? Whats in New York?" nothing made any sense. Why New york? Her grandma has never been to New York.
"You'll find it when you get there. I can't tell you any more. You'll be safer without knowing." That wasn't a good enough answer for Penny. Her mind needed something more to understand. Nothing Was making any sense.
"Grandma what's New York?" Penny said more forcefully this time. Her grandma just looked at her sadly for a moment before replying.
"Your true heritage, your real father." This just made Penny more confused. Her real father? What's that supposed to mean? Her siblings had always joked that she was adopted, or that her mother had a secret affair. Never in a million lifetimes did she think it to be true. "Penny my sweet granddaughter. I'm sorry i couldn't explain more but it's time for you to leave. You'll be safe, ok? And you'll do such amazing things. I love you ok. Remember that. Now be strong"
Now Penny was lunging her one small bag though an airport, going to a huge city looking for something that she doesn't know. Oddly enough she didn't feel like crying. I can't remember the last time I cried, she thought to herself. Penny didn't get ike crying. Crying won't fix anything. She got on the plane and looked out the window. As they took off she could see the smoke more clearly. She hated herself for thinking it but she though; looks like my family were the chickens.