My story

Let me start with my own story,

I come from a country where a girl who dares to dream big is laughed at and ridiculed.

A place where the only thing a women is fit for is marriage.

Anything beyond that is considered crude and immoral.

Unfortunately in a country like this, I dared to do the unthinkable, the unforgivable.

I dared to dream big.

I dared to think I'm good enough for Harvard.

I dared to think I could become a doctor.

I dared to think I could have a future without a man.

According to the society, all of the things that would fill my heart with joy was not meant for a women.

Late nights I spent studying would be accompanied with, "what is this all for? You will end up in the kitchen anyways."

This made me hate the word kitchen. Till today I dared to stay away from the one thing that every girl is pushed into learning.

Minus being a better version of myself, I also dared to think I could go abroad for further education.

I still remember the day, I was sitting with my family (uncles, aunties, cousins etc) watching a TV show.

In the show, there is usually two groups competing for money. The head of the winning team gets asked what will they do with the money.

This particular teams head was a girl.

The host asked the girl the question he usually asks everyone. Nothing new.

The girl confidently said, " I would like to use the money to pursue my study abroad."

Suddenly the host lost his formal posture and started laughing.

That didn't hurt as much as seeing the people I call family start cackling into loud laughter as well.

The host replied with, " we will see where that goes."

From that day onwards, I never dared to say, me jokes weren't jokes, they were the words crafted from my heart. I was scared of having the same reaction. It sent eerie chills to my body.

I started working in silence but not as hard as before.

I was no longer the naive kid who thought hardwork and consistency would take me to my dreams.

I became a teenager, whose eyes were open to the war before her. I knew it required way more than hardwork to get to where I wanted.

Day by day, I was consumed with negative thoughts, exposed to the consequences of my action, underweighted by the dishonour my leave would bring to my family.

They all got to a point, where I got lazy when it came to my studying schedules. I no longer had the determination to keep on fighting against nosy aunties, I no longer cared, I forcefully let my spark get dimmed by constantly telling myself, it was never meant to happen.

I still remember the night I took down my Harvard posters and posts of encouragement, convincing myself this is the right thing to do.

Just like my mom said, "somethings are not meant to happen. People are telling you all this things for your safety."

I believed her.

But I wish I didn't. I look back to the person I was before and after she said that.

I hate the person I had become.

I was someone just getting by, not someone thriving to be better.

I was no longer motivated.

I studied but I didn't know why?

And you should always know why or else what ever you are doing is meaningless.

This year, however, I realised I'm punishing myself, by holding my soul captive of not following something it's desperate too.

I also realised, people are never right. No matter what! So never let people control your life!

With these in mind, I printed another picture of Harvard and got back to studying. Full force. And I haven't been happier. I might not be where I want to be, but I'm not going to give up now.

Therefore, this is how I got this idea, throughout my journey, I never had anyone to truly sit down with (except my small sister) and talk.

And no matter how many times all the motivational podcasts say you don't need someone to cheer you, you do need it.

You need at least one person to believe in you.

And I'm willing to be that one person for you all.

I'm willing to believe in you when no one else does.

I'm willing to be with you!

One story at a time.❤️💫