THREE

"Guys, I don't really want to be here." I sighed, being dragged by JJ into a kook party, why are we even here. "It'll be fun, they're so drunk they won't even realize we're here." JJ tried convincing me but I found that hard to believe. It's a pretty big group of us, they're bound to notice. Just like they read my mind, "we should split up." John B spoke, causing me to cringe, this is going to be horrible. "I hate you." I whispered under my breath as everyone went in different directions, leaving me to figure out my next move. I mean I could just sneak back out, right? But I don't think I could live with myself if I left them all here. What if something happens? My thoughts were interrupted when I locked eyes with those all too familiar blue orbs. It's like even from all the way over here, I can read every emotion through his eyes, first he was confused, then surprised, I even think I saw a glimmer of happiness...? No, it can't be, over me? I'm just getting in my own head, that's what I told myself, although my body didn't seem to agree, as it started walking through the crowd to the stunned boy.

"Hi." He breathed out as I arrived in front of him, I smiled, examining his face, but stopping at the tip of his nose, what is that-no, no, no. "Hey, so what's this?" I questioned, shocking myself by rubbing the white powder onto my thumb to show him, his eyes got big, "nothing." He lied, horribly might I add. "Yeah, I totally believe that." I rolled my eyes devilishly. "Goodbye." I turned on my heel, I could feel him watching, and before I knew it he was walking up beside me. "I'm just having a little fun." He tried to justify his drug use, I scoffed. "Ok, Rafe. Tell me that in twenty years when your kids are having to work to pay off your drug addiction for you, because then we'll see if its just a little fun." I rushed out the words, not believing that I just said that. He didn't reply, or follow me this time, just watched as I walked away, trying to wrap his head around what I said.

***

Kie was the first one back to the van, once I texted her saying I didn't want to be alone. "Hey, what's wrong?" She questioned, seeing the uneasy look in my eyes, "I do like him, I don't know why, I just don't understand how it happened so fast." I rambled, Kie nodded along. "Did he do something to you?" She asked urgently, "I won't hesitate to send the boys after him." She let out a little laugh, trying to lighten the mood. "He was doing coke." I muttered underneath my breath, "my mom, uh, she doesn't just drink anymore, she shoots coke now too." I added, letting the tears flow when she wrapped me in her arms, practically squeezing the life out of me. "Oh Charli." Kie sighed, allowing me to just cry it out. "What happened?" All the boys questioned in unison, I shook my head, silently begging Kie not to tell them the truth. "Stupid girl things, she got-" JJ cut her off with a gagging noise, "oh god stop talking, just stop." All of the boys now awkwardly walking past us and into the van. I'm much happier with the answer she gave them. Thank god for Kie.

I sat in the back of the van, JJ on one side, Kie on the other, I was pretty close with JJ but I just didn't feel comfortable sharing this with him, of course he knew about my mom, they all did. But now only Kie knew the whole truth. I leaned into the seat, not caring at this point, I just wanted to close my eyes and let it all go. My mind wandered the rest of the drive, we had just dropped Pope and Kie off at their houses, "can I stay at your place?" I asked John B softly, knowing he would say yes. "Of course, everything ok?" He questioned, as I climbed into the passenger seat, leaving JJ alone in the back of the van, rolling a blunt as we rode along. "Just shit with my mom." I sighed, "wanna talk?" He glanced over at me. I shook my head, "not right now."

****

I spent the next two weeks ignoring Rafe every time I got the chance, every time he came into the clubhouse, every time I saw him around Figure Eight, I started picking up more odd ball jobs, my mom begging me for more cash, I stopped giving it to her. I demanded she tell me what she owes and I'll pay it, in hopes of keeping her from buying more. The last thing I want is Barry coming after us. I hoped out of my run down old car, cringing as I walked up to Barry's front door, I knocked before deciding to just swing it open. "Well hello sweetheart, you don't look like you belong here." Barry smirked looking away from the guy he was talking too, "here's the money Shirley owes you." I mumbled, tossing the money onto his table. The guy sitting on the other side of the living room looked up, my heart stopped for a brief moment. "Rafe." I gasped, I knew he did coke, I didn't know he was the one buying it, this just keeps getting better. "Charli." He responded equally as shocked, Barry scoffed looking between us, "get a room, and get out." He demanded. I didn't hesitate to oblige, not wanting to spend more time around either of them than I have to. I practically ran to my car, hearing Rafe running after me, I knew I wouldn't out run him, but I tried anyways. "What?" I questioned, being cornered between him and my car. "Why'd you get so angry at the party?" Rafe asked, never breaking eye contact with me, I took a slow deep breath, our faces so close, our breath mixing together. "Why does it matter to you? I'm just a stupid pogue right?" I retaliated, he still stared into my eyes, reading my emotions as I did his. "Because." He mumbled, "because why?" I egged him on.

"If you don't tell me why, then I won't tell you either." I added, lifting my head a little bit, our noses almost touching, they brushed briefly, making my heart skip a beat. "You're making me feel some kind of way, Charli." Rafe muttered, his lips parted, brushing against mine, as if silently asking if this is okay. "Kiss me." I whispered, instinctively putting my hands on the back of his head. He hesitated, his hands slowly resting on my hips, he looked down to my lips, then back at my eyes before finally closing the gap. My eyes fluttered shut, a little shocked by how gentle he was being, I tugged the hair on the back of his head a little, he moaned into the kiss, squeezing my hips in return. I pulled away, having to catch my breath, shocked at what just happened. Rafe seemed as surprised as I was, "holy shit." He mumbled running a hand through his hair, his face was a light shade of pink. "I said scram country club!" Barry yelled out the door, "I gotta go." I whispered, planting another kiss on his lips, feeling confident in myself. "You never told me why you got mad." He said as I opened my car door, "my mom uses." Is all I said, starting my car and pulling the door shut, my face turning bright red as I drove away, already missing his touch. This is what I call the beginning of the end.