TWENTY SIX

I sighed as my phone rang, cutting into my music as I attempted to hang the sign in Josie's room. "Hello?" I answered, pushing the phone to my ear with my shoulder. "Charli? It's sheriff Peterkin, there's been an accident." I froze, "what kind of accident?" I set the sign down, trying not to panic, "a car ran through a red light, they t-boned Rafe's truck. He's on his way to the hospital now, I think he's just got a concussion and some bruised ribs, but he wanted me to call you." Sheriff Peterkin explained, "oh, thank you. I'm leaving right now." I hung up the phone, rushing out the door as quick as I could.

"Hello, I'm here to see Rafe Cameron." I spoke to the lady behind the desk, she typed away on her computer, hardly glancing up at me. "Family only." I rolled my eyes, putting my left hand on the counter, "I'm his wife." She stood, giving me a smile, she saw my bump, I could see a slight judgemental look in her eyes. But I didn't care, I just wanted to see Rafe. "Room 6, just down there." She opened the door, pointing to the last room in the hall, I didn't even thank her, just started speed walking to his room. "Rafe, baby, oh my god." I entered the room, relieved to see him, he had a couple of scrapes on his face, his arm was in a cast and a brace on his ankle. "Charli, I'm sorry I tried to stop." He winced when I went to hug him, "sorry." I whispered sheepishly, "Don't apologize, Peterkin said the other guy ran the red light." I added, giving him another once over. "I'm just so happy you're okay, I was so scared." I sat on the edge of the bed, making sure not to touch his leg. "The doctor said I have to stay for a couple of days, and I don't know how long until I'll actually be able to work." Rafe seemed frustrated, "see, it's a good thing we took the money from your dad." I soothed him, "technically, you can still work, you can quote for jobs, just not as many since JJ and John B will be working, maybe you could get Pope to help out too, he could use the money." I explained, he nodded holding in a sigh. I took his hand and placed it on my stomach, "just breath, alright, we're here." I smiled at him. It wasn't working, he was having a full blown panic attack, seemingly over nothing he could control, but I understand that it doesn't feel that way too him.

"Rafe-" "Why are you even with me?" He cut me off, his eyes turning hard, "why is someone like you, with someone like me who just struggles everyday to stay sober, Jesus I can't even drive to work without fucking something up?!" He all but shouted, I could feel my heart breaking. "Rafe, look at me." I spoke, but he refused, his jaw clenched as he looked everywhere but me. "Rafe, look at me damn it!" I snapped, standing up off the bed. He met my eyes, his were full of anger and sadness. I knew he truly believed what he said and that's what killed me. "I'm with you because I love you, I love everything about you." I assured him, "you don't fuck everything up, everyone makes mistakes and I know it's hard to stay sober, I want you to be able to tell me these things, if you feel like doing something bad. You have to tell me, okay? I can't help you if you don't tell me. I'm not this fragile girl that will break, I've been through hell and back and I'd do it all again if it meant that I'd end up here, with you." He stared at me, completely taken back by my words. "And yes I know I'm crying right now but that's just because your daughter is kicking me in the ribs and I really have to pee." I laughed through my tears, he cracked a lopsided smile, his eyes still weary. "Rafe I promise you, this was not your fault. This was just some crazy way that the universe was trying to help us." He looked at me like I was absolutely insane but nodded anyways.

"Just calm down, sit please, you're freaking me out now." Rafe gently pulled my arm, making me sit back on the edge of the bed, "sorry." I mumbled sheepishly, "I just love you so much, you make me crazy." I added, sighing in relief when a nurse walked in, saying they had a room upstairs for him. "I'll meet you up there, alright?" I grabbed my bag off the chair, "okay." He sighed, not wanting me to leave, "I'll be there soon, I'm just going to use the bathroom and grab something to eat." I assured him as I walked out the door. "Sheriff Peterkin." I gasped turning the corner and seeing her heading towards Rafe's room. "Oh, Charli. Perfect. I was coming to tell you and Rafe that we arrested the other driver, he was drunk. His name is Grant Parker." I felt like the room was spinning around me, Grant, of course it was. "Are you alright?" Peterkin asked, grabbing my arm. "Yeah, I, yeah." I sighed deciding against saying anything else. "Okay, well tell Rafe I hope he recovers soon." She started walking away, "wait!" I called, she stopped and turned back towards me. "Grant Parker, he, oh god, he raped me." I whispered, Peterkin's eyes went wide, "are you sure?" I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "It was almost a year ago, but yes I'm sure, he basically admitted it to me when I woke up. You can check with the hospital, I had a rape test done." She nodded along with my words, "okay, you're not the first person to come forward. I'm glad you did, we should be able to nail him. I'll call you with more information later."

I stood in shock, I really just said that, I just told the cops what he did, and a part of me is terrified that he'll find out.

"Hey, look at this-Charli, what's wrong?" Rafe cut himself off as I walked into his room, my face all red and puffy from crying in the bathroom. "Peterkin came by, the person who ran the light was drunk, it was Grant." I explained, his eyes softened at my words, he felt for me, he knew all I wanted was to get rid of this guy. "Come here, baby." He opened his good arm, I sat next to him, carefully leaning into his touch, "I told her he raped me." Rafe went stiff at my words, it killed him to hear those words, that any guy ever did anything bad to me. "I'm not the only one, she said she'd call me later, to tell me what to do." I added, breaking the awful silence that filled the room. He didn't speak, just nodded against the top of my head, he was trying to be tough but I could hear his shaky breathing, "I know." I whispered, taking my own shaky breaths, we just can't seem to catch a break.