TWENTY

We just got to the hotel room, Rafe had gotten us a separate room at the same hotel the girls were at. I was drinking my second bottle of water, the one time my nerves don't make me have to pee. Rafe was sitting on the edge of the bed watching me nervously, his knee bouncing up and down uncontrollably. We bought three tests, I was nervous and didn't want to risk not being able to read one. "I gotta go." I rushed into the bathroom, the bag of tests in my hand, Rafe jumped up when I closed the bathroom door, now he was the one pacing. I did what I had to do, opening the door when I was done, I had the tests face down, I was standing in front of the mirror anxiously. Rafe came up beside me, "how long do you have to wait?" He questioned, rubbing my back softly. "Five minutes." I answered, hiding my face in his chest, I'm already crying and I don't even know what it says yet. "Are you going to be angry if it's positive?" I asked him, "no, baby, of course not." He mumbled against my hair, kissing the top of my head repeatedly, "what if it's negative? Will you be upset?" I muttered lifting my head to meet his eyes, "I don't know." He answered truthfully, I nodded staying silent, suddenly I remembered to brush my teeth, that should waste the perfect amount of time. Rafe laughed at me, trying to sneak a peek at a test but I slapped his hand. "You have to wait." I spoke, mouth full of toothpaste. I rinsed it out, checking the time, it's been five minutes.

"Are you ready?" I asked, lacing our fingers together, he gave my hand a squeeze, "ready as I'll ever be." He whispered, I flipped the first test over.

Positive.
The next one.
Positive.
The third one.
Positive.

I stood in shock staring at the tests, Rafe had to pick one up and look at it, shocked. "Oh my god." He laughed, I looked at him in confusion, "oh my god!" He jumped up before pulling me in for a kiss. "I'm pregnant." I whispered pulling away, what the fuck. That's all I could think, "I'm gonna be a daddy!" He practically shouted, "you're going to make a great mom, so amazing." He cupped my face in his hands, I started crying. "No, what's wrong?" He shushed me, rubbing the tears away with his thumbs, "I'm scared, what if I turn into a crappy mom just like my mom did?" I cried harder at the words. Rafe's eyes went soft, "hey, look at me, okay. That's not going to happen, you're going to be the best mama ever, this baby is so lucky to have you." He stared into my eyes the whole time he spoke. "If anyone should be worried about fucking up, it should be me." He added with a raised eyebrows, "no, don't go there." I soothed him, still crying lightly, "you're going to be an a amazing daddy, oh my god, so amazing." I kissed him, the door being knocked on interrupting us, "I forgot about them." I laughed our foreheads pressed together. "We should probably let them in, huh?" He laughed lightly as he pulled away from me. He opened the door and they pushed right past him, walking into the bathroom, I smiled at them. "Oh my god!" Kie almost tackled me, Sarah practically jumped on Rafe. "I'm gonna be an aunt!" She shouted, Rafe laughing at he happiness, Kie let go of me, "you're going to be an aunt too." I told her, bringing a tear to her eye, "really?" She questioned. "Of course, auntie Kie, has a nice ring to it doesn't it?" I smiled as she hugged me again.

Sarah and Kie switched, Sarah had me wrapped up in her arms as Kie gave Rafe a congratulatory hug. "Holy crap, you guys are going to have a baby." Sarah sighed, still in shock. "You can't tell anyone yet." I gave all three of them a pointed look, "I want to go to a doctor first and make sure everything's okay, and wait until I hit twelve weeks." I rambled, already feeling anxious about it, "of course, it's not our news to spread anyways." Kie assured me, "how far along do you think you are?" I closed my eyes in thought, "I don't know, maybe six weeks?" I responded, I was totally guessing, I could be way off. "That's crazy." Rafe sighed, giving me another hug, shit just got real.

***

I was bouncing my leg anxiously as I sat in the waiting room at the doctors office, Rafe beside me doing the same thing, I'm sure we were getting plenty of weird stares. "Miss Landry." I jumped up at the sound of my name, Rafe following just as nervously. "I'm Cheryl, I'll be helping Dr. Williams out today." She gave me a smile as she led us to a room, "when was your last period?" She asked me this, and a bunch of other questions, she told me to take my pants off and lay back, giving me a sheet to cover myself with, "the doctor will be in shortly." She smiled shutting the door. I stood shimmying out of my pants, Rafe looked around the room, making me laugh, clearly he's seen me before. He stood going over to the ultrasound machine, picking something up and playing with it. He turned to me, holding a speculum, I gave him a look. "Do you know what that's for?" I asked him, he shrugged, "no." I raised a brow silently telling him he doesn't want to know. He all but dropped the metal device, "that's torture isn't it?" He deadpanned coming and taking the seat next to the exam table. "Can be." I answered with a shrug, he shivered at the thought, a gentle knock on the door before it swung open. "Charlotte?" The doctor confirmed, "yes ma'am." I smiled, grabbing Rafe's hand nervously. "Let's get started, shall we."

The appointment was almost over, but now was the most exciting part, "what the..." Rafe mumbled looking at my face as the doctor pulled out the internal ultrasound wand. The doctor and I both laughed at him, "most men have that reaction." She assured me, I watched the screen, trying to figure out what she saw, that I couldn't. She pointed to the small circle, "that's your baby." She pushed a few buttons on the keyboard and a thumping noise filled the room, I looked at Rafe, tears in my eyes. "Strong heart beat, I'd say the baby is measuring ahead, you're about eight weeks." I gasped at her words, "eight?" I asked for clarification, she nodded giving me a big smile. Wow.

"This is crazy." I whispered, holding the ultrasound photos in my hand, "I know." Rafe smiled looking over at the red light. "Do you want a boy or a girl?" I asked him, he bit his lip in thought, "I think I want a boy, but as long as it's healthy I don't care." He answered, grabbing my hand. I nodded, "I think it's a girl." His eyebrows shot up, "really?" He questioned me, "yeah, I just I don't know, I feel like it's a baby girl." I rested my hand on my stomach, it's already become a habit, even though you can't even tell I'm pregnant.