xiii. anywhere but here

Both Ashtyn and John B let out frustrated groans when the sound of a car horn brought the two teens out of their deep slumber

Both Ashtyn and John B let out frustrated groans when the sound of a car horn brought the two teens out of their deep slumber. Even with the excessive heat their limbs were tangled together, scantily clothed bodies pressed against one another like two halves of a whole sandwich. A sheen layer of sweat coated their skin, but neither cared, more worried about enjoying their time together than their need for a shower.

For a moment, Ashtyn believed she was just hearing things. Reaching out to brush a few stray pieces of hair from John B's face as his hazel eyes slid open to look back at her. He smiled, leaning forward to press a kiss to his girl's forehead. "Morning."

"Morning," She whispered back giddily. "Are you excited?"

Today, the Pogues would make the trip out to sea in search of the Royal Merchant. According to the newspaper Luke brought home from work yesterday, the skies were supposed to be clear, which meant the water off the coast would be calm enough to venture out with the drone. It's the first step in getting John his much needed closure, and Ashtyn was more than excited to help him achieve that.

She didn't care if she got a share of the profit because at the end of the day, she was just glad to help. The youngest Hughes child found excitement in this unknown treasure hunt and wouldn't trade the experience for gold anyday.

"What if we get out there and don't find anything?" John's hazel eyes flicker with doubt as Ashtyn continued to brush a hand through his tangled hair. "I'm going to feel terrible for bringing everyone into this mess if we come back empty handed."

Ashtyn shrugged, "Either way, I've enjoyed myself." She could see the shock on John's face when she threw her leg over his torso to straddle his waist, laughing quietly. "If we don't find it, we can always keep looking. We have all summer Johnny."

"Not necessarily..." His hands instinctively went to the girls waist, holding her body in place. "DCS put a notice on my door the other day about a hearing that I need to attend for foster care. They're going to send me away if my uncle doesn't show up soon."

Something ached in the girl's chest at his words and she knew that it was a part of her heart breaking. Ashtyn should've known that John wouldn't be able to casually live at the Chateau by himself. Of course DCS would attempt to take him away, even if there was a legal adult living under the same roof. Luke could hardly support himself, and technically, he was a runaway felon so the court would only scoff at his request for custody.

On top of that, John B didn't have a legal guardian here to sign emancipation documents, so he's the state's problem now...

"That may be true, but you have one thing that your social worker doesn't." The brunette girl lightly taps his cheek before pointing to the living room and guest bedrooms where the rest of their friend group currently slept. "The Pogues. None of us are going to let this happen. We'll bail you out somehow and bring you home."