xxi. graveyard

The inside of The Wreck was so tense that Ashtyn needed to get away

The inside of The Wreck was so tense that Ashtyn needed to get away. Every small action was being judged by Pope and Kiara, whether it be the food she ordered or her replies to JJ and Emerson. The two Pogues had officially teamed up against her and there was no way to mentally handle that and the rest of her chaotic life.

She still had yet to sleep, which made it hard to comprehend the new information about her mom, and it was beginning to frustrate her. All she wanted was to talk with her father one last time and ask him what the hell he was thinking when he sighed that new will. Never once had she expressed any interest in his company, in-fact, she told him numerous times that she detested it.

Believe it or not though, Peter loved his daughter and always wanted the best for her. If he believed that this was in her best interest, then he either knew something she didn't or had completely fallen off the wagon before his passing.

The brunette girl rested her head against the old wood railing outside of the shack style restaurant, letting her eyes slide closed for the first time that day, hoping to get a few minutes of shut eye before returning to World War Pogue. Her relaxed state never had the chance to set in though because as soon as her eyes closed, a hand caressed her cheek, encouraging her to open them once again.

"Hey, we all need to talk inside." If it were anyone else, she would've scoffed and ignored the request, but the sound of John B's voice caused her heart to skip.

Ashtyn's hand flew up to cover the one he currently had on her face, holding it in place as her tired eyes opened to look into his hazel ones. She wasn't sure if she was hallucinating or completely losing her mind, but she could feel him. He was there. "John?"

"Come on Ash." He pulled his hand free, striding back up the creaking steps past her.

While Ashtyn's tired state caused her to move slower than usual, somehow she managed to grab his hand that wasn't currently in a cast. "Wait. I need you, we need to talk. Luke told me some things and John, I'm losing my mind I-"

"We can talk later." His dark eyes caused Ashtyn to gulp and release his hand, scared that if she said anything else he'd snap at her.

More than likely, his last clear memory was her telling him 'I hate you', so it was no wonder why he'd throw aside her problems. His walls were back up and it would take a wrecking ball to plow through them again.

John easily pulled the screen door open, holding it for Ashtyn to enter shamefully behind him. She kept her distance, not wanting to anger him anymore than she already had, but a part of her needed him to hold her and say that everything was going to be okay.

Even if it wouldn't.

"Where the hell have you been?" Kiara's raised voice cut through the group's quiet chatter as she jumped into John's arms, catching him off guard as he attempted to wrap his cast covered arm around her. "We've been worried sick."