The Potential Lifesaver

A/N This takes place around the same time as The Chair, just wanted to let you know!

Cuphead sighed as he and Mugman set camp for the night. They were in the forest, and making a fire to make some food. Mugman looked a Cuphead sadly. "Cuphead... I'm really cold" Mugman said, tearing up. "Sorry, Mugman...." Cuphead said, sorrowful. They were finally finished setting up. Mugman instantly went to the fire, while Cuphead went to go and find some food. He looked on and found a dead squirrel. "Eww.." Cuphead said to himself, but it would have to do.

A few minutes later, the brothers were cooking the squirrel and chatting. "Do you think Elder Kettle is okay?" Mugman asked. " He was a warrior, and Sonic said Elder Kettle had potential for a wilderness survivor, so yeah.. I think he's fine" Cuphead lied, not wanting to dampen the mood. Mugman moaned, drinking water from a nearby water source.

"Shouldn't we go and find Sonic or Tails?"

"they don't like us anymore, Mugman, and you know that"

Mugman sighed, he was lonely, cold, and he wanted his grandpa. Cuphead was sipping on a drink. Suddenly, they heard a loud crack, followed by a scream. "What was that?!" Mugman yelped, hugging Cuphead. They listened in, hearing what seemed like someone struggling. They finally heard a snap. And a loud thud. And. .. Nothing. a few minutes later,They finally heard a crack, and something spilling.

"Someone's here, we have to go!" Cuphead yelled. Mugman started crying as he blew out the fire. Cuphead grabbed the cooked meat, the water, and they ran off. Cuphead and Mugman ran through the dark woods. The two boys wandered helplessly in the forest, panting and whimpering along the way.

Finally, they stopped. Mugman instantly took a gulp of water. "Cuphead... I just wanna go back home..." Mugman whimpered. "Nothing's normal anymore, Mugman... " Cuphead admitted. Mugman gulped, and took another drink of water. Angel Island sure wasn't giving them a easy time.

"Cuphead, look!"

Cuphead turned, interested. Mugman was pointing to a tall staircase. It was made of marble. "Come on, Mugman! Let's look!" Cuphead yelled, his curiosity sparking him. The two boys ran up to the podium. "This must be where the Master Emerald is kept!!" Mugman examined. The two boys looked at the podium in wonder and hope.

Cuphead wondered where the Master Emerald was. Cuphead hoped Knuckles had it in safe keeping somewhere else. Mugman laid down near the podium. "M-may we sleep here tonight, Cuphead?" Mugman asked, shivering. "Umm... I don't know" was all Cuphead answered. "It might be important..." Cuphead sighed, and turned back to the podium. It certainly did look nice. It had a hole in the middle, and multiple barriers surrounding it. Cuphead laid down. "I guess we can for tonight..." Cuphead said, already falling asleep. "Goodnight.. Cuphead" Mugman said, yawning, as he fell asleep.

"Goodnight, Mugman"

The two boys awoke with a scratching sound. Cuphead looked down and saw what appeared to be a rat clawing at the wall. "Mugman, how did you sleep?" Cuphead asked. "I-I'm alright, I guess... " was all Mugman could stammer. Cuphead soon realized he had a blister, which had bled, but it had healed overnight.

Cuphead and Mugman walked down the podium as the two were waking up and stretching. Once they got to the end of the stairs, Cuphead realized how hungry he was, he looked around, curious to see if a animal had been killed recently. A squirrel or bird. Cuphead looked on and suddenly heard a whimpering noise, followed by a choked sob. "Mugman?!" Cuphead said, turning around, preparing for the worse.

Mugman was still there, just as confused. "We should check it out..." Mugman suggested. "Yeah. let's go..." Cuphead agreed. They walked through the woods toward the sobs. Cuphead looked on and saw a orange-red coat. "T-t-tail-?" Mugman stammered , to afraid to even say anything. Cuphead touched him, feeling a pulse, and he sighed in relief. "We need to help him!!" Mugman yelled. "He doesn't need us, he has himself!" Cuphead yelled.

Mugman looked at the cub. Tails' right tail was broken, bruised, and a bit of dried blood. His fur was lifeless. His other tail was rusty. The entire fox was dirty. The Fox had shaky breaths. Cuphead looked at him as well, Seemed the fox had a rough night... Cuphead thought to himself.

Mugman grabbed Tails, and put the cub on the ground. Mugman smiled, as he found the first aid kit. He tied Tails' right tail. Cuphead cleaned him up, and Mugman helped with the rest. Tails' right tail had still had a broken bone. Mugman looked and sighed, and feeling happy.

Mugman looked at the cub, and smiled, he knew Tails' would be understanding.