It's Not What You Think

* warning: contains description of abuse and violence*

Jay groaned and paced after getting off of the phone. He was terrified of becoming a single father to two kids after what happened with Kaycie the first time. A jabbering Blakely and a knock at the door pulled him out of his thoughts. Will greeted Jay with a smile that quickly turned to a scowl. "What's wrong brother? You look like you are battling demons in that head of yours." Jay nodded and went to grab the ultra sound pictures and handed them to Will. "Kaycie is apparently pregnant and due in March. She asked me the other day if I was ready to think about more kids and I told her 'Never.' She left to help a friend In Utah and never told me about the baby. I found the pictures and got mad. I yelled at her man, I think I accused her of planning this baby behind my back. I messed up big time." Will didn't know what to say. "Well for starters, why did you tell her that you never wanted to have more kids?" Jay just shook his head. "I almost lost her. I can't let that happen again."  Will nodded, "but if you don't set aside those fears and fix this, you may really lose her Jay. You have to be there for her. Breastfeeding can sometimes increase fertility even though most data says it decreases. You know she wouldn't plan this. It just happened. Every pregnancy and birth can be different. Jay nodded, there were so many things swirling around in his head.

Back in Utah, Kaycie told the Uber driver to stay here, that they would be going to a second destination. She knocked on Jenna's door which was cautiously opened.
"Hey, it's just me, lets get you out of here." I said. Jenna nodded, "let me just gather everything up and do a quick walk through." They both quickly worked in fear that Brandon would come home and catch them. Jenna had a fading black eye and scab on her lip with multiple bruises on her arms that could be seen. It made me furious and I didn't even know the guy.
We ran a load of stuff out to the waiting Uber. "One more thing," Jenna said and ran back in. Just then a red car came screeching into the driveway almost hitting the Uber as it skidded to a stop. A furious looking man jumped out and took off running into the house. "Call the police!" I hissed at the driver and launched out of the car and into the house screaming for Jenna. She was backed against the wall with him towering over her. "Where do you think you are going?!" He growled. "You think you can just run away from me?" He wrapped his hands around her small neck. "Let her go now! The police are on their way. It's over Brandon. You are never going to hurt her again!" I yelled furiously. He scowled and dropped his hands. "What makes you think you can come into my house and take my wife away from me? You are going to pay for this!" He hissed as he swung at me. I dodged him twice but he connected with my head the third time. As I fell to the ground he turned his attention back to Jenna. I kicked the back of his knees as hard as I could. He only stayed down a few seconds before he was flipping over. I moved closer to Jen trying to protect her from this evil man.  He growled, "you are going to pay for that Bitch!" He threw me against the wall and repeatedly punched me until Jenna was able to kick him hard between his legs. He continued to growl and swear at us. I looked around the small apartment for something I could hit him on the head with. There were not many options readily available. I was scared he was really going to kill us both. He had his hands around her neck so I quickly scooted into the kitchen and grabbed a frying pan. I swung at his head as hard as I could. That hit finally knocked him unconscious. I grabbed Jenna's hand and we were heading for the door as two police officers came bursting in. Brandon then came too and started threatening to kill us all. We were sent to the ER and had to fill out a mountain of paperwork. Brandon was arrested and we were finally released to a hotel for the night. Jenna had a fractured cheekbone and might need surgery as well as bruises over her neck from his hands and old bruises in different healing shades covered her body. I ended up with one broken rib and a concussion with a pretty banged up face that I hoped I could cover up for the flight home. Luckily my ribs were as low as injuries went. The baby looked perfect on an ultrasound.
Early that morning I woke up to Jenna having a nightmare. I carefully woke her up and let her cry for awhile. "I wish you could have gotten help sooner. I thought he was going to kill us both for sure. I can contact a lawyer the minute they open so we can start on the divorce papers." The ER did a great job on documenting all of the abuse findings. She only nodded. "I loved him at first. I feel like I am grieving the man I lost of who I used to know but not the man I know now." She cried.

Meanwhile Back in Chicago Jay froze when he checked into my email account and saw several from a divorce lawyer and a meeting time set up for today. In his own panic he didn't process who else it could be for. He swore under his breath but Adam still heard. "What's wrong man?" Adam asked. Jay signaled for the break room and poured two cups of coffee. Adam already knew what was going on. Jay told him about the lawyer and Adam tried talking him down, telling him that I wouldn't do that but Jay wasn't so sure. In the fight my phone was shattered and I had sent him a few texts from Jenna's new phone but he didn't answer back.
Two days after the incident we were finally cleared to fly home. I was not looking forward to a long flight with a broken rib. I really looked forward to seeing my sweet baby and I really missed Jay too.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Sorry for the delay. I have already started on the next chapter and hope I can finish it in the next day or two! Thank you again for all of the votes and comments!