Chapter 5

As the first light of dawn appeared I found myself asleep on one of the chairs in the balcony. I went inside and put on my cardigan. After a quick hot shower I changed into a blue dotted dress. I rushed down the stairs where the man in the lobby talking with a woman came over to me.
" Dove vai signora? ", he asked rubbing his hands together. The man had a big bald head which somehow reminded me of Mr. Potato head from The Toy Story.
" Umm al negozio di frutta. Ci vediamo dopo. Bye. ", I smiled at him and walked outside the hotel. The cobbled streets of Florence were half empty this morning and the sun was shining in its full glory. I went over to one of the fruit shops and smelled the plums laid out in their respective cartons. I smiled at the woman selling the fruits. I bought some bananas and kiwi and turned around but dropped my packet of fruits when I dashed with a man.
" Scusa ", Sorry. The man just laughed and went ahead.
" Ughh. It's okay. ", I bent down and picked up my fruits.
" Ciao Bella! ", Hello beautiful!
I looked around to see who it was. Matty and George were standing beside the fruit shop with wide grin on their faces.
" You should be more careful. Clumsiness isn't a good sign. ", he said flashing a lighter to his cigarette.
George laughed and bought some fruits for themselves.
" What are you guys doing here? ", I asked them.
" This baby here wanted to hang around but sadly his other dad's wouldn't agree so he dragged his best daddy with himself. ", George replied. I smiled at him. Matty hit him with his elbow.
" Where are you staying? ", he asked me.
I pointed to our hotel which lay adjacent to the fruit shop. He was wearing a white t - shirt and black jeans. Once again I found myself staring at my fingers instead of making a conversation with him. He had his eyes on me, I could feel it. I looked up at him and smiled for I did not have a clue as to what should I do next.
" So you....you wanna hangout? With us? With me? ", he asked. I could sense the hesitation in his voice. Was he nervous? But that is absurd because he has obviously asked out hundreds of girls like me.
" Uhh yeah. "
" Good. Come on. ", he said.
" Wait, now? ", I asked him.
" It's now or never. ", he said with a shrug.
" Okay. But could you wait. ", I said.
" Of course. I'll be right here. ", he said.
I nodded and ran towards my hotel.

I couldn't believe it. Was he asking me out? What should I do? I had no idea. I had never been asked out by a celebrity before. How should I act around him? It was so obvious that he made me feel intimidated. Like whatever I said or did would only come out as stupid in front of him. I was happy and a lot nervous. I was giddy. I felt like a teenager all over again. Was it possible that I had been wanting for him to ask me out? You know the first time you went out on a date. The very first time? It's like you can't contain yourself because you've never been asked out before. Well he made me feel the exact same way. I felt stupid. It could only mean a friendly invitation and all the while this all felt like a dream. Was I imagining all this? But I had no intention of whatsoever ruining it. It may be a dream but I was fortunate enough to find it in reality.

                                          ***

It was mid - afternoon. George left soon after we three sat down for breakfast in a restaurant. It was only Matty and I for now. Matty had rented a Vintage '69 yellow Fiat 124 spider 1 serie. The car had a sleek polished frame. He played some music and lit a cigarette.
" Where are we going? ", I asked him.
He smirked and put his index finger on his lips indicating, silence. I smiled at him and turned towards him.
" No now seriously are you going to murder me while taking me someplace I don't even know. ", I asked him sounding as scared as I could.
He laughed and held my hand.
" A murderer doesn't show any affections like this towards his victims. ", he said while driving with his left hand and holding my hand with his right. I smiled coyly at him and turned to my right. The views were spectacular. It all felt like I was in the right place, with the right man? But I shoved that thought away as it was ridiculous for me to think that. He is just a friend. Only a friend. And yet here I was. Does he take other girls to places like this too? Am I like his other girls? I had no time to further drive my thoughts ahead when he stopped and looked over at me.

" It's time. ", he said.
We stopped at a field of tulips. The wind was roaring and it blew my dress. I tried to contain it when I found Matty staring at me. The realisation of me catching him off guard hit him as he hurriedly shifted his eyes towards the car. I went towards him and asked him if this is where I die. He laughed softly. His laughter was full of life. I could hear to it all day. He caught my hand and led me towards the field.
" Lucky you that your murderer is a handsome one. You wouldn't want one of them dug out of History now. ", he said. I rolled my eyes at him. We spent the rest of the day talking about this and that.
" So you're a nerd, huh? " he asked me.
" Hey don't call me a nerd! ", I protested which made him chuckle.
We were now sitting on the grass. The wind blew from all the directions and disturbed every attempt of mine to keep my hair in place. Matty kept smiling stupidly. He leant in and tucked my hair behind my ear. Oh shit! He was now awfully close. He placed his hand on my cheeks and brought me close to him. My heart felt like it could jump out of my chest any minute now.

He stared at my lips and smiled before he placed his lips on mine. He tasted like cigarettes. It was blissful. I could simply enjoy the moment but I had to freak out over it. So what happened next would forever want me to strangle myself to death.