【Chapter 5】

Regretting volunteering to clean up the gym, I face plant onto my bed, not bothering to change out of my uniform. I open up my computer and trawl through NetToon in hopes of finding a good comic to binge read. Eventually, I find one I like and begin reading from the comfort of my bed. 

"Heeeey~ Tomo-chaaan?" I hear Kuroo at my door. He only ever uses that tone when he wants something from me. Assuming that he probably wants to borrow one of my manga, as he always does, I let him in. 'This shouldn't take long, let's just get this over and done with, I've got fictional characters to get emotionally attached to.' I think, as he weasels his way into my room. 

"So, which book do ya need?" I ask, "Wait, no, lemme guess. The latest chapter of Devil Hunter hasn't come out online yet, but neither has the latest chapter of Our Warrior Academy. Hmm, due to the current character arc, I'm going to gue-" My train of thought is cut off dismissively by my cousin.

"Actually, it's something else..." Kuroo says nervously as he takes a seat on the end of my bed. I sigh,

"Well, whatever it is, make it quick, we just got home, and my online comics can't wait forever." Kuroo responds to my statement at first with a highly confused look, before explaining,

"First of all, we did not just get home, it's 10:04pm, we've been home for hours," My baffled expression and checking of my watch is enough of a response for Kuroo to continue, "And second of all, I kiiinda need you to uh, mentor my friend on english..." His words get progressively quieter and faster as he says them, he probably doesn't want me to hear and just say 'yes', but my ears heard him loud and clear. 

"So let me get this straight, you want me to tutor your friend on the entire subject of English?" I ask, hand boldly placed on hip.

"...yₑₛ." Kuroo responds, averting my eyes and doing the '👉👈' with his fingers. Acting cute and shy may work with his mum and dad but it sure as hell doesn't for me.

"And why  should I do this?"

"...bₑcₐᵤₛₑ yₒᵤ'ᵣₑ ₐ ₙᵢcₑ fᵣᵢₑₙd?"

"Hm, okay, but why me?  There's plenty of student tutors."

"... bₑcₐᵤₛₑ ᵢ ₘₐy ₒᵣ ₘₐy ₙₒₜ ₕₐᵥₑ ₚᵣₒₘᵢₛₑd ₕᵢₘ ₜₕₐₜ yₒᵤ wₒᵤₗd..." Of course he did. Now I'm roped into a situation that's going to be real sticky to get out of.

"...Right," I say, thinking my thoughts aloud, "And how important is your promise to him, like, say, you were to break it and I don't tutor him, how badly would that affect your friendship?" Kuroo takes a moment to imagine the situation, from his facial expression, I can only guess that wouldn't end well.

"Yeah, he's a pretty sensitive guy, he'd probably feel like I stabbed him in the back. Breaking my promise to him will not end well. But come on, it's only for a bit over a week, not to mention he's one of my best friends. Pleeease?" He finally states. I sigh in defeat, I may be a little apathetic at times, but I would prefer not to have the knowledge that I made this guy sad and ruined his friendship with Kuroo on my mind. Plus, I'm his older cousin, I gotta look after the baby of the family. 

"Alright, fine." I say, "Bring him over at two tomorrow. I'll see what I can do, but just saying, don't get your hopes up, English is a pretty tough language." Kuroo smiles gleefully and wraps me in a big hug, thanking me repeatedly. I pull away after a bit, patting him on the head and sending him on his merry way. Only now do I remember the cliffhanger I was left on when Kuroo interrupted. I jump back in bed and continue my evening of nerding-out. I fall asleep not long after, blissfully unaware of the chaos tomorrow brings.