【Chapter 9】

The bell rings, signalling the end of the school day and time to leave school. That is, only if you're not in Sato Sensei's class. 

"The bell doesn't dismiss you, I do!" Said teacher says as he finishes writing an equation on the whiteboard. A collective groan is heard from the class as we slump back into our chairs, unfortunately familiar with this charade. Most students in my class utilize this time to answer sensei's questions as quickly as possible so they can get the hell out of here. Knowing that, I opt to space out, my attention elsewhere as I stare out the window. 

My peaceful scenery is interrupted by a pair of wide, green eyes peeking up at me from the bottom of the window. Unbothered, I stare back, asserting my superiority. The eyes don't falter, still fixed on my own. 'I see how it is,' I think to myself, 'This staring contest is on like donkey kong.'. I relax my eyes and allow my eyelids to droop slightly, spacing out in the challenger's own eyes. After a minute or two, the emeralds disappear under a pair of eyelids. Victorious, I shoot them an arrogant look, letting the person know who's boss. 

"Kuroo. Why are you still at your desk?"I am snapped out of my thoughts by the annoyed voice of my Sato Sensei, "Unless you're trying to get a detention, you better pack your stuff and get out of my classroom. Now." Still a little shocked by the change of focus, I hastily pack away my things and bow to the teacher on my way out,

"Sumimasen, sensei. Please enjoy your afternoon.". Sato nods approvingly before resuming whatever he was doing at his desk.

The second I step out into the hallway, I am met by non-other than Haiba Lev. He rushes over to me excitedly, 

"Waah~ TK-Senpai! I tried to surprise you, but you surprised me!" I chuckle at his childishness. He may be a giant, lanky guy, but he really is just a little kid at heart. 

"How did you stare for so long? Didn't your eyes get dry? Mine did! How did you do that?" Lev squeals brightly.

"Well, you see, young one, I am well-versed in the art of keeping one's eyes open for extended period of time." I say in a posh tone, starting to walk towards the gymnasiums. Lev follows along, completely oblivious to my satire words.

"Sugoi~! How do I do that? I wanna win all the staring contests with my friends!" He exclaims.

"Okay, I'll tell you, but you gotta pinky promise not to tell anyone else. It's top secret." I say sternly, extending my pinky. Lev grimly shakes my pinky with his, blissfully unaware of my many layers of sarcasm. I nod at the boy curtly as I take a deep breath and usher him closer to me with a wave of my hand. Lev leans forward and turns his head to the side, and I whisper in his ear in the most bogan* way you can possibly speak Japanese,

"Ya just space out." Perplexed and mildly disconcerted, Lev gawks at me with the most perturbed face I've ever seen. 

"Nani?! What does that mean?" He cries. I double over, cackling in amusement. This does not in any way shape or form comfort Lev's concerns. After taking my time to recuperate, I take a look at the poor boy's face. Feeling a little pity for Lev, I gently place a hand on his shoulder and explain to him,

"Okay so, often people who have consistent trouble concentrating will instead of getting distracted by another activity, do this thing called 'spacing out'. It's where you just kinda laze in one position while your mind wanders off, often lost in thought or sometimes just completely blank. It's a nice way to pass the time or accidentally creep someone out." Taking a moment to digest the information, Lev finally asks,

"Or to win a staring competition?" I nod, feeling like a mother, proud of her child for understanding big words.

"Yes. Definitely a nice way to win a staring contest." I answer. Our moment of understanding is promptly cut short by the one and only, Kuroo.

"HahAHAHA! WHAT ON EARTH DID I JUST WATCH UNFOLD?! TOMO-CHAN WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME YOU WERE SO GOD DAMN HILARIOUS?" The Nekoma third and second years are all standing together in the corridor, laughing, despite their intense confusion. 

"YAH! LEV, DID SOMEONE FINALLY MANAGE TO TEACH YOU SOMETHING NEW? TK-SENPAI, YOU GOTTA TEACH ME HOW!" Yaku howls in delight. Feeling the motherly instinct that all managers have for their first years kick in, an idea forms in my head. Still facing him so that the other don't see, I wink at Lev, telling him to go along with what I do. 

Relaxing my entire body and allowing my eyes to space out, I turn my head slowly towards to the hoard of boys. As I cock my head to the side, I say in a sweet but monotone voice,

"Do you mind repeating that in Japanese?" I pause for effect, "I don't speak dumbass." A long silence stretches out between us. I can almost hear the crickets chirping. Eventually, Kuroo clears his throat, 

"... Sorry." I smile just a little too sweetly and walk over to pat him 'reassuringly' on the shoulder.

"Don't worry, all is forgiven! Just don't do it again. Got it?" I chirp. The chorus of awkward murmurs of apology is all I need to know they learnt their lesson. 

I walk away into the gymnasium casually as if nothing happened. Practice continues on smoothly, with the occasionally nervous glance my way. This is the first time the boys of Nekoma catch a tiny glimpse of just how conniving and relentless I can be. If they're smart, they'll learn to use my talents to their advantage. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Bogan: (Adj, noun) Bogans are typically people of the lowest economic class, residing in poorer suburban areas of Australia. They are uneducated, unseemly people that wield strong (Often highly offensive and incorrect) opinions, incredible egos and beer bottles. They often see themselves as the quintessential Australian and view anything that they do not understand or cannot have/do as dumb and pointless. They are somewhat of an Australian equivalent to 'trailer park trash'. Many regular Australians will use the term 'bogan' as an insult or descriptive term for both people and things. Because of the thick, iconic accent Bogans have, the act of 'speaking bogan/like a bogan' is a common phenomenon. 

To give you Northern readers an idea of what a bogan sounds like, try to get that guy you know who is mildly racist and believes every stereotype they're told to say something in an Australian accent. Or if you are too socially awkward to do that like myself, just search it up on YouTube.