【Chapter 10】

A/N: All English words will be written in bold. Enjoy reading <3

As I snatch the gymnasium keys off the hook, I am met by a stout old man.

"So, have you decided on whether you wish to help organise the volleyball camp?" Coach Nekomata asks. As I step out into the cold evening air, I ponder how to phrase my response.

"I'm willing to help as much as I can, and I would be honoured to help organise the event. Although, due to my temporary tutoring for a friend, I cannot attend any meetings after practice." I say, bowing apologetically. Nekomata chuckles warmly and claps me on the shoulder,

"Not to worry! I may be harsh, but I would never make us meet after a long day of practice. Our next meeting is at lunch tomorrow, so how about you make your way over to the teacher longue with your lunch, and we'll let you in." He says. I nod,

"Hai. Sorry to cut this short, but I've got to head home now for tutoring, I hope you don't mind." The elder gives me a thumbs up and I wave him a goodbye as I head over to the school gates.

I push my key into the front door and turn the lock, stepping into the warmth of the house. I slip off my shoes and wander over to the living room where Bokuto is already waiting. He stands and waves to me, ready to start today's lesson. I wave back and shrug off my red manager jacket, discarding it on the couch. Sitting down in front of the table, I take out some paper and stationery for note-making.

"So, what's on the agenda for today's lesson?" Bokuto inquires as he struggles to remove the cap from a pen.

"Since your exam is focused on conversation, I thought we should focus on greetings and introductions for today." I say, "You got our notes from yesterday on pronouns?" Bokuto temporarily stops attacking the pen to pull out said notes from his bag and place them on the table,

"Right here." He states before returning to the pen. As I reach out to help him, I stop in my tracks as he decides to wrap his molars around the pen lid. Pulling harshly, he achieves nothing. Sighing, I reach out my palm expectantly and Bokuto gives in and places the unfortunately soggy pen in my hand. I hesitantly wipe the pen dry on the hem of my shirt and then twist the cap off the pen, handing it back to him.

"Twist off, not pull off." I say simply. Realizing his mistake, Bokuto groans and dramatically drags his hands down his face.

"Uggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm so dumb." He whines. I smile in amusement.

"Well, that's why I'm here to change that. Now, let's get started." I announce. Bokuto nods and looks at me intently, waiting for me to start. I begin by writing down a few different words, 'good morning', 'good afternoon', 'good evening', 'hello' and 'hi'. Pointing at them, I draw one long line underneath the words, placing arrows on either end.

"These are different ways to say greet someone." I say. I point to the far-right side where 'hi' is written, "Hi is the most informal greeting, used casually to greet anyone." And I write 'informal' underneath the line where I pointed. I point to the far-left side, where 'Good evening' Is written.

"Good evening is the most formal greeting, along with good morning and good afternoon." I say, writing 'formal' underneath the line.

"To greet someone during a certain time of say or wish them a nice afternoon, evening or morning, these three are used." I say, writing down the Japanese equivalents of the words above them.

I look to Bokuto,

"Got all that?" I ask. He nods.

"Okay let's try giving it go. Repeat after me." I tell Bokuto. I point to the first word.

"Hi." I say.

"...Hi." He repeats. This goes on for a bit, just saying words over and over. By the end of the lesson, I've managed to teach the boy basic conversational skills. I check my watch, and the time shows 6:43pm. Shit, Bokuto's mum said that his curfew is 7:00pm. I barely even noticed the hours pass by. I decide that now is a fitting time to wrap up the lesson.

"Okay, Bokuto, you gotta be back home kinda soon, so let's finish this up." I say.

"Yeah, good idea." Bokuto replies as he finishes the sentence he was writing.

"Alrighty. Let's do some revision. Conversation time, no notes this time." I declare, giving Bokuto time to take a quick skim of his notes before returning his focus to me.

"Hello." I begin.

"Hello, how i...are you?" Bokuto says uncertainly, looking to me for confirmation. I nod, assuring him to keep going.

"I'm well thank you. How are you?"

"I am well, thank you."

"My name is Tomo Kuroo, what's your name?"

"My name is Kotarou Bokuto. It's nice to meet you."

"It's a pleasure to meet you too."

"Goodbye, have a great evening."

"You too." I end the conversation. The words 'you too' give me a mini flash-back to all the times I said 'you too' at the wrong time. Bokuto and I smile, proud of him for maintaining an entire conversation. An alarm on my phone rings and I check the screen, already knowing what it says,

𝟷𝟻 𝙼𝙸𝙽𝚂 𝚃𝙸𝙻𝙻 𝙱𝙾𝙺𝚄𝚃𝙾'𝚂 𝙲𝚄𝚁𝙵𝙴𝚆

I dismiss the alarm. Bokuto and I begin to pack away all the notes and stationery. As I hustle Bokuto out the door, not wanting him to be late, I notice the pouring rain. Shit.

"Do you have an umbrella?" I ask him. Bokuto shakes his head.

"No. Can I borrow one? I'll return it tomorrow." He asks. I look to the shoe rack next to the door where a single umbrella sits by its' lonesome. I notice the red polka dots and recognise it immediately as Kuroo's favourite umbrella.

"I'm not supposed to use this umbrella because it's Kuroo's favourite, he'll notice if it's gone for more than an hour, so I'll have to walk you home." I state, popping on my shoes and opening the umbrella.

"I am so going to tease him about the polka dots." Bokuto smiles as he follows me outside. I close the door and pop the keys in my pocket. Sarcastically, I bow slightly and hold out my arm for Bokuto,

"M'lady." I say. Bokuto curtsies,

"M'lord." And places his hand on my arm poshly. And off into the rain we venture.