Departure

The next morning, Agarwaen woke to the front door opening and heavy footsteps approaching. She groaned and folded in on herself. Everything inside her hurt and she felt like a gutted fish. Forcing her eyes open slightly, she looked up to see Beorn standing over them.

"So here you all are still. Not eaten up by wargs or goblins yet. Come, let us discuss things over breakfast." His words woke everyone else up, the only other two who looked visibly phased by the events of yesterday were Fili and Bofur who had grimaces on their faces and looked a little pale. She couldn't begin to imagine what she looked like. She wasn't even sure if she could get up. She remembered some of the drinking contest with Fili, and the singing and dancing, and she remembered getting yelled at by Gandalf, but other than that, her memory was extremely foggy.

"Need a little help?" Kili asked with a smirk as he offered his hand to her.

"Sod off." She muttered and rolled over.

"Is that any way to treat your second favorite person?" He asked. She looked back up at him with furrowed eyebrows. "What, you don't remember?" He laughed. "You told me I was your second favorite next to Bilbo!" Agarwaen just groaned again and buried her face in her arm, which she had been using as a pillow.

"Do you need a bucket?" Kili bent down and questioned smugly.

"You are," she held up her hand, her forefinger and thumb millimeters from touching, "this close to getting smacked."

"So moody. Betcha can't even reach me from down on the floor like that." He stood up and took a step back.

"Cin dilthen polca nít orch." she pushed herself up onto her feet, and immediately almost fell over again.

"See, I told you I could get her up." Kili announced.

"I'm gonna pummel you." She tried to tackle him, but he sidestepped and she just face planted on the ground.

"Rhachon le." she muttered as the dwarves laughed. Even Thorin couldn't keep a small smile from growing on his face. Agarwaen was quite possibly one of the most interesting characters he'd met, and he couldn't help but want to know more about her past and what caused her to be so drastically different than her kin.

"Agarwaen." Gandalf scolded, as she slowly got up again. "Bridle your tongue."

"Sin naugrim nafeag."

"And yet you share drinks with them nevertheless."

"You so readily scold me, Mirthrandir."

"Perhaps it is to keep you out of trouble, hmm?"

The company gathered around Beorn's big table, and began eating the breakfast he had laid out.

"It was a good story, that of yours." He began. "But I like it even better now that I know it is true. You must forgive me for not taking your word, but Agarwaen knows why. If you live near the edge of Mirkwood, you do not take the word of those you do not know." He sat with them, pouring himself a mug of milk. Agarwaen just stared at the empty space in front of her, not wanting to eat anything at all.

"So, why is Azog the Defiler hunting you?"

"You know of Azog, how?" Thorin asked.

"My people were the first to live in the mountains. Before the orcs came down from the north. The Defiler killed most of my family, but some he enslaved. Not for work you understand, but for sport." The silence around the table was saddening. It held the same feeling as when he first told Agarwaen of this long ago. "Caging skin changers and torturing them seemed to amuse him."