The Past Comes Back to Bite

Be warned, this chapter is not pretty and fairly violent toward the end.

After being searched, the company was bound and pushed along toward the elvenking's halls.

"Why did you come back here?" Tauriel asked quietly from beside Agarwaen, who didn't say a word. "I was glad you had escaped that day. And now it's all over. There is nothing anyone can do." Agarwaen still didn't answer. She didn't even spare her old friend a glance. "Unless..." She looked at the redhead through the corner of her eye.

"Tonight is the feast of starlight. Thranduil might think twice about holding an execution on such a night."

"It would only buy me one night. It is pointless." Agarwaen said sharply.

"What happened to your voice?" She asked the same question as Legolas.

"Being crushed by stone giants isn't a pleasant experience." Tauriel looked at her in surprise. Before she could ask anything more, Legolas called Tauriel away.

After crossing a great bridge Agarwaen hadn't seen in 170 years, they were led down the halls to Thranduil's throne room. Upon seeing them, he raised his thick eyebrows, but upon seeing her, they shot back down again as he glared at her. He ordered for the other dwarves to be taken to the cells, but to leave her and Thorin. Another elf came up from behind her, and placed metal bindings on her, locking her hands behind her back. The cuffs were connected to two tight chains, which had a metal neck restraint on one end, and ankle restraints on the other. Thorin watched the elf put it on her with growing rage. Something about seeing her chained up like a dog made his blood boil.

"Some may imagine that a noble quest is at hand." Thranduil began. "A quest to reclaim a homeland and slay a dragon." He glared at Agarwaen as he walked past her. "I myself expect a more prosaic motive. Attempted burglary or something of that ilk." The bent down to look Thorin in the eyes. "You've found a way in. You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule. The king's jewel. The arkenstone. It is precious to you beyond measure. I understand that. There are gems in the mountain that I too desire. White gems of pure starlight. I offer you my help." Agarwaen breathed a sigh of relief. Even if she wasn't alive to see it, if Thorin accepted Thranduil's aid in return for the white gems of Lasgalen, then her mission will be a success even after her death.

"I'm listening." Thorin replied to the elven king.

"I will let you go, if you but return what is mine."

"A favor for a favor." Thorin turned and began to pace, choosing his next words carefully.

"You have my word. One king to another."

"And what of her? Will you let her go with us?" Thorin looked over to Agarwaen. Her eyes widened and she looked down at him in fear. Thranduil would not let her go, not again. And if Thorin decided not to take the deal because of it, they would all be doomed. Thranduil smiled.

"Let her go? No, I should think not. She has crimes she must answer for. Which brings me to my next question, for Ballineth, Leithiandes, or whatever you go by these days,"

"Agarwaen." She muttered.

"Ah, Bloodstained, a fitting name for a woman with your history," Thorin looked to her in confusion. She said her name meant powerful. "Now tell me, traitor, why are you in the company of Thorin Oakenshield, and why have you dared to step foot in Mirkwood after what you have done?" She did not answer, and instead just stared ahead. "Always the defiant one. Did you tell the king under the mountain your sob story? Is that why he let you join his ranks? I'm quite surprised really, that he would let a murderer travel among his kin."