Chapter 5

"Nothing!" I groan as I place what felt like the fiftieth book on the stack of books that was continually growing next to me.

Most of the books I search through had pages missing and others had nothing useful to me.

I've sat in the same place in the library for awhile now. I can feel my lower half going numb. I lean against the bookshelf. There were three stacks of books surrounding me.

Sitting next to me was Prince Aaron. He look through the books I put aside. Eyes widening everytime he turns a page. I assume he never look through the books before and didn't know the information they hold.

"There has to be something," I mumble. Desperation etch into my voice. I can't be stuck like this forever. There has to be something or someone to help get rid of this curse.

"Were you always like this? A wolf I mean," asks Prince Aaron, as he sets the book down.

I nod, "Yes. Apparently I was born with the curse, but thankfully never turn into the wolf until recently."

With a raise brow, he asks, "How come?"

I held out my red cloak out to him, "Because of this. It may not look much, but its powerful. It protects me and anyone near from the wolf. If I don't wear it at night, the wolf will take over. It'll kill whatever is in its sight, but when I wear it have I complete control of mind and body except on a full moon where I am too weak to restrain it." I say solemnly.

"And you didn't wear it one night." He says, "Atleast thats what Im assuming."

I twist the material around my finger. Flashes of blood floods through my mind. I can taste and smell it like I was there once again. Reliving that awful night.

"Rieka?" Prince Aaron asks, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Yes?"

"Do you think theres a way to stop these... werewolves?"

"Depends on whether or not we find a cure. If not you might want to hire hundreds of blacksmiths to create silver weapons. Werewolves can be killed with silver. Regular steel weapons will be like a paper cut to them.

"You however got lucky when you killed Garth. You dug the sword deep enough into him that he won't get back up again." I grab another book from the shelf.

He sighs, "There has to be something in here," he stands up and looks through the shelves. "Some sort of way to get rid of them without risking peoples lives."

I drag my hands down my face with frustration. My eyes were starting to hurt from reading millons of words for too long. "We already look through hundreds of books. Its hopeless." I say in exaggeration.

"We're just not looking through the right book- aha! I think I found something," exclaims Prince Aaron. He plomps down next to me and shoves the book into my hands.

He points to a paragraph and reads outloud, "If one is curse to be something they are not, one must seek the waters of Lake Tristan."

I frown, "Lake Tristan?"

"Yes, meaning King Tristan of Kaaesa. The lake is there and it can break any curse!" He says with hope in his voice.

"For the spell to work one must sacrifice a treasure possession," I read the last sentence.

He stares at me, "You wouldn't happen to have a treasure possession on you, would you?"

I basically clamp my hands over my cloak instinctively. It's the last thing I have from home. It's my security blanket. A protection from the wolf.

"What if it doesn't work?" I question slowly, "And the sacrifice of my cloak will be for nothing."

He places his hand on my shoulder making me flinch. I haven't had personal contact since that night when I had clung to Grandmama. Begging her to let me stay. When I spit out a mouthful of apologizes. Crying that I was frighten.

"It will work. Trust me. You just have to have faith." He assures. "Im coming with you."

Taken aback I chuckle nervously, "What?"

"Im coming with you. To Lake Tristan." He repeats with determination in his honey colored eyes . "Maybe I can find a way to replicate the lake's magical properties." He taps a finger to his chin, thinking thoughtfully.

I dust myself off as I stand up. "You do realize that I am being chased by werewolves right? Who will murder you if they see you with me."

He gestures to his sword, "I'll be fine. I did fought those two werewolves this morning. Don't you remember?"

I roll my eyes, "Yes, but thats because I already tired them out."

He smiles, showing his perfect pearly whites. "Lets agree to disagree."

Smirking I reply, "Because you know Im right."

Prince Aaron starts placing the books back on the shelf. "Anyway when do you want to leave? Since we'll be walking to Kaaesa itll take a day and a half and I want to return by the time Sherie's celebration starts."

I lift a stack of books off the red pattern carpet, easily. He helds his arms out and I place them in his waiting arms. His eyes widen when he realize how heavy the books are.

"Well we can leave tomorrow morning," I answer. "To give you time to make preparations and rest. Tell me though, are you okay with raw meat?"

"I'll have Bently pack with supplies and food," he says quickly with a disgust face. Like the mere thought of raw food made him sick. "Tomorrow morning we'll be off to Kaaesa."

I held my hand out and smile, "Thank you, Prince Aaron."

He shakes it and smiles in return, "Again, call me Aaron. Also when was the last time you had a proper meal?"

******
Comment your thoughts, vote, and share!