Chapter 10

"I think we're safe now," Aaron announces breathlessly. We've been running for what felt like an hour. Trying to put as much distance between the bandits and us.

We gather wood to build a small fire before collapsing to the ground. The night air was cool, the once clear blue sky was replaced with darkness with tiny speckles of light. The milky white moon had thin shadow on its side, signaling that the full moon was approaching.

I wrap my red cloak tightly around me as a cold wind blew by. Ruffling my hair that had came loose. Uncle Liam sits next to me. Leaning against a rotten log. He stays silent as he stares at his hands that were once again lock inside the silver shackles.

"Is this really necessary?" He asks, breaking the silence.

Aaron dumps a pile of wood on the ground. "Yes," he says as he throws a couple of them into the hungry fire. The flames rise. Billows of smoke attempt to drift upwards, but were unsuccessful because I sweep them away, worrying the men will see the trail of smoke.

"Why?" Uncle asks glaring at him. "I've done nothing wrong." He squints at Aaron. "Is it because Im werewolf?"

Aaron pauses and stares at him, "Its because you're part of Axel's pack."

"Was. I left the pack. Rieka tell him to take them off."

I regard him, "You did save me, but I still don't trust you."

"I will not harm you or your friend. I will never do that." He holds out his hands, "Come on, this is not necessary."

I turn away to look at Aaron. He finally sits down across from me near his horse. He looks exhausted as he leans against Bently's side.

"Are you alright?" I ask, ignoring Uncle's plea.

He closes his eyes and sigh, "Im fine. Just tired. Sorry to tell you this, but I lost the map to Kaaesa."

I offer a small smile though I couldn't help, but feel a twinge of disappointment. "Don't worry. We'll figure things out tomorrow." I say hopefully.

Uncle sits up eagerly, "You're heading to Kaaesa? I can take you there! I know the way."

I look narrowly at Uncle. "Why?" I ask, "Whats in it for you?"

"Well to spend time with my niece of course." He grins, "Maybe I'll even stay there. Theres really nothing for me here in Adrirea." I could hear a tightness in his voice.

Turning back to Aaron I ask, "Shall we let him guide us?"

He shrugs as he keeps his eyes train on Uncle, "Might as well. Unless you want to head back to the castle and find another map."

I shake my head, "That will be a waste of time." I gaze back at Uncle Liam. "You better not get us lost."

He smiles showing crook teeth. "I wouldn't dream of it." He leans back on the log. Setting his hands on his chest. "We'll leave tomorrow. Tonight we rest."

They both fell asleep next to me. Snores and sounds of crickets was the only thing that fill the area.

I watch the fire burn lazily. Feeling bored and sleepy, but not enough to fall asleep. I didn't want to sleep in fear of another nightmare and panic attack now that I will have two witnesses.

I also wanted to keep an eye out for those bandits and makesure Uncle doesn't try to run off.

Grabbing a stick, I stoke the fire. Pulling it away to watch a small ball of flame slowly trail down the stick. I threw the stick into the flames before it could burn my fingers.

I heard movement from across from where I sit. Aaron stretches and looks at me sleepily.

"Rieka?" He groggly whispers as he rubs the sleep out of his eyes. "Why are you still awake?"

"Not tired," I lie.

He sits up and scratches behind his head. His hair spray in all sorts of directions, making him look funny. I smile and try to hide my chuckle with my hand.

"How are you not tired after the day we just had?" He asks, "I feel like I could sleep for days."

"Well somebody has to stand guard. And its not gonna be either of you. Both of you fell asleep as soon as you laid down." I toss a branch into the fire. The fire flashes as embers float into the night sky.

"Is it because of the dream you had last night?" He asks softly, watching me.

"Maybe," was all I said.

"Do you always get nightmares?"

Shaking my head I reply, "No.... well... sometimes." I take another stick and I start to draw on the dirt. The fire is my only light source. "I dreamt that I killed Grandmama. Yet she was alive, but torn apart. I could see her organs and bones. She called me a monster as a werewolf and man drags me away then I woke up." I say blandly, trying to hide the tremble in my voice as I recall the nightmare.

"I'm sorry."

"For the nightmare? Well its not like you control what I dream." I lean back against the log. Turning my gaze towards him.

He nods his head toward Uncle, "How come he doesn't wear a red cloak like yours?"

"The red cloak are for fledglings who have not master the skill to control the wolf. Uncle Liam and many others can control the wolf easily without it because they were train by others." I say coldly.

"Why don't you get him to train you while he's here? You might even want to stay a werewolf if you learn to control it." He says as he stretches, moving his arms towards the sky.

I turn towards Uncle Liam. He was sleeping on his side; back facing me as he snores softly. I look away and mumble, "Maybe. Go to sleep. I'll keep watch."

He waves me off, "You should go to sleep."

"Im not-"

"Go to sleep. If I see you having a nightmare, I'll wake you up. Promise." He smiles softly.

Reluctantly I wrap my cloak over my body and lay down. "Fine, but doubt I'll fall asleep," just as I say that I yawn. I can feel my eyes struggling to stay open.

"Goodnight," he says and I allow myself to fall asleep.

It was like I woke up inside the dream. Tied to a wooden post. My arms were hung above me and my feet dangle above the ground where piles of wood sat. My hair hangs down my face as I gaze lazily at the onlookers around me.

"Any last words, witch?" A man asks, holding a torch. I don't know him, but hatred burns in his eyes as he glares at me.

Before I could answer a bursts of shouts interupts.

"Murderer!"

"No, she's a demon!"

"Send her to Hell where she belongs!"

I heard someone spit and I feel something slimey land on my bare feet. Bringing my head up I gaze at the people around me. Noticing familiar faces in the front row.

Aaron and his family stands in front of me. Their faces that once held kindness is now replace with hatred and disgust.

I stare into his cold eyes that held no warmth as I say loudly, "I am not a murderer."

"Liar!" He exclaims.

The man who held a torch looks at King Marc. Waiting for an order. The King waves his hand and the man ignites the piles of wood on fire.

I cough as smoke fill my lungs. Sweat drip down my forehead from the unbearable heat. Pain shoots through my body as the fire grows, and I let out a shriek that will be heard across the kingdom.

*******
Comment your thoughts, vote, and share to show support!