Chapter 12

"Aren't you hungry?" I ask Aaron who stares down at the makeshift plate I made out of leaves to hold the pieces of the deer Uncle and I had killed.

He gulps as he picks at the raw meat with his finger, "I think I lost my appetite," he sets the plate down, "Maybe later."

Uncle rolls his eyes, "Im sorry if if didn't rise to your standards, my prince. Next time I'll hire a chef from Erenia."

Aaron glares at him and as if to spite Uncle, he grabs the plate and shoves a handful of raw meat. He keeps his expression neutral, but you can tell he was disgusted by the look in his eyes.

Uncle watches him with smugness and says nothing else.

"You didn't have to do that," I whisper to Aaron once we were back to traveling with Uncle leading the way.

Aaron pets Bently on his neck as the horse walked next to us. "He thinks Im some spoil picky prince." He says in a low tone.

"I don't think you're like that," I say looking down at my hands like they were the most interesting thing in the world. "Would a spoil prince risk his life to save his people from power hungry werewolves? Doubt it. They would be too busy being hand-fed grapes by their lady friend."

He smiles, "You are correct and they'll complain about the heat."

I dramatically draw my hand to my forehead and cry out, "Oh my word! Its too hot! The sun! Its punishing me! I-I feel faint! Someone call the medic! Im having a heatstroke!"

He laughs as he starts to fan me, "Your highness, your highness! Stay with me! Tell me how many fingers am I holding up?" He holds up four fingers.

I slap away his hands, "Stop it you idiot! You better find us a grand bed and breakfast before I behead you myself!"

He bows down, "Yes your highness! Whatever you say! And if its not towards your satisfaction I'll behead myself!"

Dropping the act we both start to laugh hysterically. My stomach ache, but in a good way and I double over. Tear stings my eyes, but they had different causes. I laugh and laugh like it was the funniest thing in the world. Our laughs seem to echo around us, Im sure the whole country would hear our laughter.

"Teenagers these days," I hear Uncle mumble.

I pull myself together and Aaron does the same; still giggling as I answer, "Hey we're not teenagers! We're adults!"

Uncle looks back at us unamuse, "Oh well from the way you were acting I would've thought you just turned into teenagers."

He turns forward, "We should be entering a town, Rimerest, soon so do me a favor and act your age. I don't want to be embarrassed."

Aaron laughs, "You shouldn't be embarrassed? Im the one who shouldn't be embarrassed!"

"Oh please with you looking like that? They would think I'm the prince! Or perhaps even the lord with my excellent etiquette."

"Pfft, your excellent etiquette?" Aaron mocks, "This morning you literally gobble that deer like it was your last meal and burped! Last time I check the lords eat their food with peace and quality. And they most certainly do not burp."

Uncle shakes his head and smiles before turning away. "We'll stop by to gather supplies. Got your wallet, your highness?"

Aaron nods as he holds up a bag of coins that rattle. "Thankfully got it back before we left."

"Well you best put it away or we'll get ambush again." Uncle hisses as he scans the forest like there were people ready to strike.

We continue on our way in silent. We passed two other travelers on horses on our way into Rimerest. It was a small village fill with people and it felt like we were all clump together in a jar. I kept my eyes on the ground and stay close to our little group.

I can feel their eyes staring at us. Seeming to judge and examine. Im sure the men had figure out who and what I am. I can hear them sharpening their pitchforks. The stomping feet approaching fast. Im trap.

"Hey," I feel Aaron touch my arm, "Are you okay?"

I snap out of my mind and look up at the people, expecting them to be glaring at me, but they weren't. They were going about their every day lives. They didn't care about the strangers in town.

It was like I had stop breathing, like I was underwater and had came up for air just in time.

"Im fine," I answer as I dig my nails into my palm. "Im fine," I repeat, but it felt more like a lie.

"Don't worry too much," he says, seeming to sense my discomfort.

I nod and say nothing else. My eyes examine the different roofs. The shapes, colors, style, and texture. Trying to keep my mind off the people and lack of space.

We walk through the town; going through shops to collect essentials that we had lost to the bandits. Unfortunately no one sells materials for science. Not even beakers.

"How do you expect to replicate the lake?" I ask once we were outside of town with Bently carrying his saddle, bags of supplies, and Uncle.

We had to make up for lost time because of the bandits. We were suppose to already be pass this town and in Kaaesa. Thanks to the bandits we are behind schedule and need to get to Lake Tristan fast so we can head back to Aaron's home for the birthday party tomorrow night.

Aaron taps his chin thoughtfully, "Honestly I have no idea. Hopefully they'll have a shop somewhere in Kaaesa, its a big kingdom so Im sure they'll have something. Maybe even a book of spells of some sort. But lets get there first. One step at a time."

He sounds doubtful and was trying to cover it. I can understand why too. His father is depending on him to find a way to make werewolves humans so lives could be spare.

I place a reassuring hand on his arm, "Don't worry, we'll find a way and get you home for your sister's birthday."

He smiles softly and I could feel my heart melt. He's perfect as he turns to look at me and says, "Thank you."

"Its no biggie. You helped me when I needed it. This is nothing, but its all I can offer," I said sincerely while trying to shut down the fluttering feeling in my stomach. I drop my hand to my side. I can feel his gaze on me, but I'm too nervous to make eye contact.

He seems to move closer, slowly as if afraid he'll scare me away, but I stay put, even when our hands seem to graze each other accidentally.

"Ever consider that words mean more than you think?" He asks softly.

Before I could find anything to say, Uncle gags loudly, "Oi, I haven't seen this much romantic garbage since your parents!"

Aaron and I quickly jump away from each other. It was like we had forgotten we had company.

I pull my hair to hide the blushes and the smile that spread on my face. Out of the corner of my eye I see Aaron scratching the back of his head, red-faced.

"Family members am I right?" I ask chuckling.

He nods in agreement, "Can't live with them, can't live without them."