Chapter 15

The streets of Ambervault is bustling with life. People run about in a hurry to finish setting up for a festival tonight in celebration of the spring season.

Streams of garlands made of flowers hung above our heads. The smell of food lingers in the air. Numerous conversations were all I can hear in the mix of chickens clucking and wagons hitting the cobblestone street.

I tried to calm my breathing, along with the thoughts racing in my mind. My eyes scan our surrounding anxiously. Searching for any signs of threats. My legs seem to tremble beneath my weight; they themselves did not want to walk any further.

Aaron and Uncle walk on either side, but it did not ease my comfort. Instead it made me feel more trap.

I feel Aaron's fingers graze my hand, inviting me to hold them, but I pull away. He frowns and was about to say something when Uncle speaks up.

"My I haven't been to a spring festival in ages! Can we stay here for a bit? Ambervault has the BEST turkey legs! Rieka you have to try them!" He exclaims, eyes wide with excitement.

"But we have to get to Lake Tristan," I reply, "We can't waste anymore time-"

"Sure we can spare a few minutes," Aaron interupts.

I snap my gaze to him, "What?" I ask in disbelief. How can he say that? We have to hurry so I can get rid of this blasted curse!

Aaron turns to look at me, "We're in Kaaesa already, Rieka. Lake Tristan is not far from here, I remember seeing this city on the map; trust me we have plenty of time to spare."

"But what about-"

"Besides I still need to find a way to replicate the lake's enchantments," he adds. "But lets have some fun first."

They both look at me, waiting for my decision. I sigh in defeat, "Its two against one."

That evening we wonder the city after dropping Bently off at a stable to be taken care. Suddenly music bursts from nearby, making me jump. I hear people clapping and cheering to the music.

We follow the sounds to the middle of a plaza with a statue of a former king of Kaaesa. A band of musicians plays music in front of the statue while a crowd form around the dancing couples.

They clap and stomp their feet as the dancers move effortlessly to the music.

"Want to dance?" Aaron asks with a smile, he holds his hand out.

I shake my head, "Uh no, I don't dance."

"Come on, it'll be fun!" He nags like a child wanting a sweet.

"Trust me having your foot stomp on is not fun." I warn.

Unfortunately he grabs my hand and pulls me to the center of the plaza. I bump into his body and he rests his hand on my waist while the other holds my hand.

He leans to whisper in my ear, "Just follow my lead and feel the music. Relax."

I look at the crowd smiling at us. "Its kinda hard to relax with theres a hundred pair of eyes watching," I scowl. Feeling my stomach drop.

He lifts my head up with his hand, "Hey, don't look at them. Look at me," he gazes into my eyes and I stare back into his hazel color eyes, wondering how can someone be so perfect and human.

I feel my feet stumble to catch up with his that had years of practice. "You're pretty good," I murmur as I tried to focus on the steps.

"Why thank you, I guess the dance lessons are finally paying off," he brags without even missing a step.

"Do you not dance alot?"

"No, never was given the opportunity. Not even at parties, I would just sit around and eat the food."

"Huh, from the way you're dancing, I thought you danced all your life."

"You're not doing bad yourself," he remarks, with a twinkle in his eyes.

I roll my eyes, "Don't lie to me."

Suddenly he spins me around and dips me to the ground. I gasp when I feel my heart drop. I tighten my hold on his arm in fear of falling.

He looks into my eyes and smiles, "Im not."

My breathing hitches as I get lost into his hazel eyes. They're so warm and kind. They glance back and forth from my eyes to my lips. A question hangs in the air between us.

I shake my head, breaking the spell he has over me and pull away quickly, "We can't," I whisper. Sadness falling over me, but I squash the feeling down.

"Why-" before he could finish; the crowd cheers once again. The music ends and the couples clap for an encore.

"Its better this way," I say. "Im sorry," I add before I turn and walk away. Deciding that if was best for us not to be this close and do something that will make things harder to say goodbye.

I'm walking down a street when suddenly a hand wrap around my arm and pulls me back.

"Hey!" I shout as I turn with my fist raise up to my attacker.

"Why are you being so distant all of a sudden?" Aaron asks with confusion and hurt in his eyes. He drops my arm, but doesn't step back, leaving no space between us

I take a step back as I look away, "We should separate."

"Wha- where is this coming from? Why do you want to separate?" His eyes soften, "Rieka, talk to me. We're friends."

"Don't you remember what happened earlier?" My voice sounds strain, "I almost killed you. What if next time we're not so lucky?"

"There won't be a next time. The spell will work."

"And if it doesn't? Axel's followers will find me. No matter where I am." I grasp my hands together to stop them from trembling.

"Then let me protect you," he puts his hand on my cheek. Forcing me to look at him, "You're not alone. We can fight them," he smiles, "But that won't happen. The spell will work."

I sigh, "I wish I had your confidence." I whisper, finding myself relaxing into his warm touch. What is with this man that makes me so weak and forget my better judgment?

"All you have to do is think postive and it feels like you can overcome anything." He takes my hand, "Please don't make us seperate."

Before I could say anything to convice him to let me go, Uncle rounds the corner and I drop Aaron's hand.

"There you two are!" Uncle shouts as he runs to stand next to us. He looks between Aaron and I with a suspicious look. "Everything good here?"

Aaron turns his gaze to me, "Is everything good?"

I shrug, feeling helpless under his gaze and my beating heart. I should leave right now, to get this step over with, but I find myself saying, "Everything's fine."

Uncle claps his hands together, "Alrighty then whos hungry?"