Episode 1: Uncharted Waters

"Oh, shit!"

Leslie jumped up faster than a cat plunged in water, every sense urging her to claw her way out of bed.

It had been a challenge with the layers of sheet but she finally made it into a clumsy stance. Her eyes found the digital clock on the night stand and they expanded in fear.

As expected, she had overslept.

And of all days, it was on the first day of work at her new job.

Grey's Anatomy really was proving to be her worst enemy.

A late night marathon after reviewing the details of her new company was all it took for her to be physically drained.

Now, it had costed her the price of being late.

She could literally kick her own ass for being gullible enough to reason with herself that she wouldn't be too invested this time.

Who had she been kidding?

With Derek and Meredith there was always some level of emotional investment.

Now here she was, brushing her hair in the most aggressive manner, the next hand cleaning her teeth in a hurry. There was no time to take a quick shower and the woman almost screamed because of how much that was testing her mysophobia.

There was a scowl marring her face the entire time as she pulled up the knee-length skirt and buttoned her blouse. The exasperation was clear in her round brown orbs as her gaze caught the bathroom mirror once more before she rolled her eyes.

Self pity isn't cute, Les.

The only hairstyle for her to have looked semi-presentable was a ponytail and with that, she slipped on her heels and grabbed her car keys.

The traffic in New York was disastrous as always, and it took everything in her not to curse every asshole who had taken the liberty to cut her off.

Not being able to grab a cup of coffee had her on edge and it was evident with how she slammed her car door with more force than necessary after finally making it downtown.

The twenty-something story building was just as intimidating as when she had first seen it during her interview. It was the headquarters of Charles & Collins, one of the biggest publishing companies in the country. In strong bold letters the owners' names were written and she made her way to the entrance in a haste. It was a miracle she didn't bump into anyone on her way to the elevator. Just as her finger was about to press the button to close it, a man came running, looking just as disheveled as she probably was.

"Hold on! Don't close it as yet!" He yelled desperately and it made her keep it open for him.

Sliding into the enclosed space within the next second, he spared her a grateful smile. "Thank you."

"No problem." She replied, adjusting the bag over her shoulders with her laptop and notebook among others.

The pressure of eyes scanning her was felt before he spoke again, "First day?"

The brunette turned to look back at him, this time taking in every detail carefully.

He had the whole playboy cliché thing going for him — panty-dropping smirk, seductive eyes and a lean body which peeped out from his shirt which had up to three buttons undone.

"Yes, it is," she confirmed. "How about you?"

"Nah, I'm not a newbie. And I hope to not be one for a long time. I've worked here for almost three years now. The name's James— James Hall, it's a pleasure to meet you." His outstretched hand was accepted quickly.