Episode 6: Sick Leave

"Just exactly what are you doing?"

Leslie looked up from her position doing a handstand, seeing an upside down image of Christopher. Her hair was falling in her face and she had to tilt her head at an awkward angle to see the ever perturbed expression on his face as he soaked in the sight of her.

"I'm trying to not let my boredom get the best of me." She rolled onto her back lightly and went to get up but halted as his face hovered over her.

"And doing a handstand helps?"

She blushed having all of his attention onto her.

For the first time it seemed like he was genuinely interested in something pertaining to her.

"It gets the blood rushing through my brain. Sets my body on fire in an odd way, you know?"

He nodded with a wry smile which told how much he thought she was weird in many ways. But he never once voiced it as she stood up quickly, brushing off her hands.

"So how are you feeling now? Better?"

His face looked full of colour-well, more than it did a couple hours ago. He didn't look as weak either. After all, he did find the strength to make it all the way here to her makeshift office. He wasn't showing any signs of that affecting him with an after effect like over-exhaustion. It had been almost six hours since he was sleeping and at one point while checking up on him, the girl thought he was never going to wake up again. It was a morbid thought, she knew, but it couldn't be helped with how he looked like Frankenstein's son.

"I'm much better," then his eyes roamed the expanse of her moist face almost hesitantly. "Thank you."

It was a relief to hear that much.

It made her smile broadly, and for a second he stared at it in silent astonishment.

"I'm glad to hear that." She voiced, much calmer than how she was feeling on the inside.

From her bag, she took out a rag and dabbed the surface of her face with it. He watched her every move like a hawk before asking, "Are you going to leave now?"

She raised an eyebrow at him, not even the least bit surprised. "Do you want me to?"

He gulped, mouth parting but all that came out was a breathless sigh.

"I don't know."

The way his face contorted, seemingly in pain went straight to her heart.

The raw honesty within his words showed just how confused, or torn rather, he was in making this choice.

So she made it easier on him and took the initiative herself.

"I don't want to leave." Leslie announced confidently and his brows arched at the stance she was taking.

Her tone became more firm with him.

"And frankly, I don't think you want me to leave either."

He stood there, barefaced and blue for being put on the spot like this-just like he always did.

A momentary sign of rage flashed across his blue eyes; like lightning above the horizon of the sky beyond a dark storm. She thought he was going to put her into place in the candid manner he always did whenever she crossed the line.

Her eyes were on the verge of screwing shut, hands fisting by her side as she waited for a tongue-lashing but...

It never came.