II - Deployed

Raelle

Shit, absolutely a wrong move. Well done Collar. Now you've put you and your sisters' lives in danger.

Anacostia warned us about the dangers we are in if General Alder finds out we were the ones feeding Abigail's mom about the whole "spree infiltration in Fort Salem" intel. I was shocked by the news that Alder had puppeted the president during her speech. She was the military's figure of bravery, honor and righteousness. Then again, it's not a surprise that this system is broken.

I seriously screwed up. And here I thought this couldn't get any messier, especially now that I feel extra broken and messed up after that encounter with Scylla.

Maybe I should have turned my back and faced the truth, that she chose me. That she really loved me despite the deceptions. It must've been horrible for
her after I walked out.

I'm so stupid. I still love her. But then I couldn't help myself. I believed that everything about her was a lie. Maybe it was easier if everything was. It hurts so much more knowing that she did love me.

"So, what should we do?" Tally asked, worry was evident from her face. We both looked at Abigail waiting for an answer.

"Just like Anacostia said, keep a low profile and let's not stand out too much. We need to be careful until our graduation. War college might not be one of the pressing matters right now but it is our only disguise."

We all agreed to keep a low profile. We just waited for Anacostia's updates and orders to get us through.

After a few weeks, we graduated from basic training. So far, no one noticed anything suspicious from our unit. My dad came by to congratulate me. I finally asked him why mom's protection didn't work on her. He said that she left it for me and never took it on her last mission. He also gave me a letter that my mom wrote for me. I was a bit confused but elated as well. I wish she was here, congratulating me herself rather than writing me a letter. But then this was the greatest gift ever.

During the graduation, I saw a lot of proud parents. I bet they were also scared for their kid's future in the army like my dad. I saw Abigail hugging her mom and Tally talking to Geret. They seem to be in good terms now.

After the event, our unit headed back to our room only to see Anacostia there. We immediately went inside and closed the door.

"Ladies, I'm sorry to inform you that General Alder knows."

"Knows what?" I asked, hoping that our nightmares would still be nightmares and not the reality.

"She knows about the information you gave to Petra. Your presence is requested in her office in this instant." she said. Anacostia's voice might be authoritative but the pity in her tone was clear.

"How could this happen?! We did everything in our power to keep a low profile! We did nothing suspicious! We did everything!" Abigail was furious and confused.

"Abigail... It's okay, everything's going to be alright, okay?" Tally comforted her.

Before we exited the room, Anacostia said one last thing.

"Also, Bellweather unit, you are being deployed."