V - A Leader And A Deathbed

Syclla

I roamed the halls of the headquarters. The place felt warm, but it wasn't exactly welcoming. The decorations resembled the typical home of a family. Well, it was supposed to be a home for the dodgers. A sanctuary to keep us safe from the injustices of the system. Where the real free people gather and right the wrongs of the government.

"Scylla Ramshorn, this way" I was called by one of the members of the Spree. She wore a thick eyeliner with piercings from her ears to her nose. She looked like a rebel teenager from a movie. She seemed too normal to be a witch.

I followed the girl to a room where someone was waiting for me. It was another lady but this time she was older, kind of like in her 30s.

"Scylla, we've been waiting. Come and sit down. I'll introduce you later to someone"

I sat down, still confused of what's going to happen next. I still doubt my safety by staying here but I have nowhere else to go. My future might be bleak as they promised but I think they're my only family now.

"Oh, I'm sorry for not introducing myself. My name is Cynthia, one of the owners of this lovely home. Now, I have questions for you Scylla. How did you escape?"

"Anacostia helped me. She freed me from my chains and I knocked her out"
I replied.

"We're glad you're back, dear. But we are disappointed about what happened with the mission"

"Why exactly do you need her? Why do you need Raelle in the first place?" I asked.

"The Spree is essential for cleansing the system. However, we currently don't have a leader due to unfortunate circumstances. We cannot advance on our plans just yet"

"So you want me to bring Raelle here and make her leader of the Spree? Well that's one horrible plan considering her loyalty to the army"

"Not quite. We do have a leader but she is very ill. Our very own fixers have tried their best to heal her but she's still sick of the plague that the army has brought due to their storms. Raelle is a powerful fixer. I'm sure with her help, we can restore the health of our great leader and then we can advance on our plans"

"I see. I'll try my best to bring her this time"

"Come, the leader wants to meet you"

We went to a room which seemed like the infirmary. I saw a blonde woman, probably in her early 40s, weak and shrivelled. It looked to me like she was on her deathbed, waiting for a son or daughter to bid them farewell.

"S-Scylla..." the woman struggled to call me.

I walked slowly towards her bed. Even though I haven't met her, she looked familiar to me. Her eyes had a nostalgic feeling. It felt like I've stared at them before.

"Scylla, this is Willa, leader of the Spree" Cynthia introduced.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Willa" I smiled at her.

The room was filled with silence for a minute. I can't really read the vibe of the room. Willa just stared at me like I've done something wrong with her. Well, technically I did botch the mission.

She finally opened her mouth to speak.

"You were supposed to bring me my daughter."