VIII - Come With Me

Scylla

As Raelle was struggling to escape, I took the opportunity to light myself on fire and reveal my true self to her. She looked at me with fright in her eyes.

"Scylla..."

"Let her go," I commanded the two soldiers who were tasked to accompany me in bringing Raelle to the Spree safehouse.

They obliged. Raelle was standing six feet apart from me. We just stood there, looking at each other, clueless of what to do next. I knew I had to do something. I threw the scourge on the ground for Raelle to pick up.

"Hurt me. I know that's what you want. I know you'll never forgive me for what I did. I just want to make up for all of my sins, all my lies. But please believe me, my feelings for you are real. They will always be."

My whole body froze as she took a step forward. I couldn't move. She took another step forward. I was suffocating. My heart was beating loudly than any drums on this earth. I closed my eyes, ready to receive the pain from the scourge. I just pray that each strike would compensate the pain that I inflicted on her.

Instead of feeling pain, I felt the warmth of the body that used to fit mine with every hug. I felt her heartbeat on my chest, her soft skin against mine, her breath on my neck.

"Stupid. I'll never hurt that beautiful face of yours," she said while sobbing.

It took me a second for everything to sink in. Her hug was enough for me to understand what she felt. I hugged her back, feeling every part of her.

"I'm sorry for everything. There's no excuse for my actions. I love you Raelle, I really do," I cried my heart out.

"I'm sorry for leaving you in that room. I should've turned back. It's just that I—"

"I know what you mean. There's no need for apology. But I do want you to run away with me. Make everything that we planned happen. Let the birds sing our goodbyes, remember?"

"Scylla, I forgive you but I don't think my heart is ready to have a relationship with you,"

Even though every piece of me crumbled after hearing those words, I still understood her. She needed time to heal. I felt bad for making a selfish request but then again, I still love her and I want to be with her.

"I know and I'll make it up to you. I don't care if we start as friends. I want to build our relationship with no lies. Just come with me,"

"Scylla, I—"

Our conversation was interrupted as we heard roaring voices from the cave. It seemed like the witches from the army noticed Raelle's disappearance.

"RAELLE, WHERE ARE YOU?" I heard Abigail and Tally shouting, desperately looking for Raelle. Their voices were becoming loud. They were close.

"Scylla, they're looking for me. Please, let me go," Raelle begged.

"Raelle, I need you to come with me. This isn't about you and me anymore. This is about me protecting you from the army,"

"No Scylla, some of them are good people, my people. They're the ones that need my protection."

Time was running out. The army could find us within minutes of running. I need to think of something that will convice Raelle to come with me in an instant.

"It's about your mother and her death. The army had something to do with it," I lied. I needed to make sure Raelle would take the bait and take it fast, "I could take you to her body."

"What? Are you sure? Do you really know where my mom's body is?" she asked.

My story wasn't entirely true but I'm sure the army is responsible for Willa's condition. If I told Raelle that her mother was still alive, she could have doubts or thoughts that would delay her decision.

"Yeah, come with me and see for yourself. You can decide later if you want to stay or leave," I said.

"Let's go," she said as she took my hand.

We ran towards the helicopter. The soldiers started the engine as we fastened our seatbelts. We took off as soon as possible, leaving the army clueless of Raelle's location.