IV - Stick Together

Raelle

Silence might have been defeaning during our flight but it was overlapped with the loud swirling sounds coming from the helicopter.

I was sitting next to Abigail who was next to Adil. The two of them were hugging while having a conversation. I tried not to eavesdrop but I couldn't help it.

"This is the first time a Bellweather got denied for War College. Sent out to a mission after graduation just to become war meat. I could feel my mother's frustration all the way from Fort Salem. I don't deserve this name" Abigail sobbed.

I know everything must have been hard for Tally but I think it's much more devastating on Abigail's part. She's one of the High Atlantics and a member of a well-known military family where you can expect blood and glory as part of their achievements. When your unit is automatically deployed to a mission, you can no longer participate in War College. Either one or all of the members of our unit die, or we'd be lucky enough to tell the tale.

"You're right, you don't deserve that name because you are much more than that. You're much more than a Bellweather. You are Abigail. And I am grateful for your sacrifice. I'm so proud of you" Adil kissed Abigail's forehead.

Being a part of the Bellweather family means you have an important position in the military. Abigail may no longer be able to rise through the ranks but Adil is right. She doesn't need War College or a rank to prove herself worthy as a soldier and as a witch. She's much more than her name and I am proud of her. I'm proud to have an honorable sister.

"Thanks" Abigail said after kissing Adil in the lips.

That must nice, having someone you love comfort you before a battle that could cost your life. All I had was a bitter goodbye and I'm not even sure if I can mend things back if ever I'm given a chance to meet her. I want to meet her. I just hope both of us are still alive by then.

Tally caressed my hand as she looked into my eyes with pity. I think she feels sorry for me, for how things went down. I just didn't think Scylla would do such a thing. Or maybe I didn't want to believe it.

I know.

I smiled at Tally, reassuring her that I was fine. I just need to be strong right now. I still want to get back alive for my father, and for Scylla.

***

We arrived at an isolated mountain which looked deserted. Dust storms and hurricanes surrounded the area. One by one, we exited the helicopters while putting on our eye protection. Tally scanned the area to see if there were people nearby.

"We are being watched" she said.

General Alder told us to stay sharp and alert at all times. The Spree or the enemies may come out and slit our throats. We moved out to look for a safe location and wait for the storms to subside.

We found a cave and went inside to take shelter. The biddies were resting beside Alder while our unit were 10 feet apart from them.

"I know this cave. I think my people are somewhere here" Adil said.

"But we're in a cave with nothing but rocks and boulders. Unless your people can turn them into doors, then they might be here" Tally replied.

"Don't worry Adil, as soon as everything calms down, we'll find your people" Abigail reassured Adil.

I can't stop thinking about my mom and how scared she must've felt on her last mission. Maybe she felt what I'm currently feeling right now. Anxious, afraid, eager to go back home, and confused. Maybe if my thoughts aren't filled with unanswered questions, I wouldn't feel this way.

"General, may I ask a question?" I spoke with all my courage.

"Go ahead, Private Collar"

"Is Scylla being shipped right now? Is there any way I could talk to her? I just need to say something"

"Even if there's a way, you are not permitted to have a conversation with her. Collar, you are powerful. Don't let her manipulate you."

"Well, I think both you and Scylla had the same power then. You manipulate people!" Tally said disrespectfully.

The biddies hissed yet again.

"Watch yourself, Craven. I am still the general of the US army. Don't speak to me like that"

"YOU MADE US INTO MURDERERS!" Tally cried.

"I MADE YOU INTO SOLDIERS" the general retorted.

Tally stood up and left the cave while Abigail and Adil followed her. I stayed at the cave because I still wanted answers.

"Fine." the general sighed.

She and the biddies stood up. The biddies formed a semi-circle around the general. She closed her eyes. It appeared like she's linking with another witch.

"Anacostia? Anacostia!" she shouted.

After a few seconds, she ended the link.

"Scylla Ramshorn escaped Fort Salem. She knocked Anacostia unconscious and made her escape. This is a very dangerous situation"

I was shocked. I didn't know what to feel. Should I be happy that Scylla escaped or should I feel scared of what's going to happen next? I definitely don't want to die in this mission. I need to find Scylla. I need to.

Minutes later, we heard an explosion outside the cave. We hurriedly went outside to check what happened.

"TALLY! ABIGAIL!" I shouted, hoping I'd hear their voices back. I was scared to death. I don't want to lose my sisters.

"Raelle, in here!" Tally responded.

The storms subsided. Dusts from the wind slowly cleared up. Everything was visible and by everything, we were surrounded by men wearing sunglasses with bandanas wrapped around their mouths.

Tally, Abigail and Adil ran towards where the general and I stood. We took out our weapons.

"We were able to hide thanks to Adil's help. I saw them coming from a mile away. They carry scythes as weapons" Tally warned the general.

"I can't believe it, the Camarilla. Our enemy is back! Soldiers, fight smart and be careful. The Camarillas will take your vocal chords with every chance they got. Trust in your unit and stick together!"