chapter 17 | part ii : the conways

I think about how to reply.

"Uh, th-they...." I look down at my plate. I have suddenly lost my appetite, even though the tomato stew is delicious.

"I'm sure they're fine," Edgar says. "Mom, why aren't you giving him some radish? Nerd, want some radish?"

He actually saved me. "Oh, no, I'm allergic to it." I give him a look of gratitude. He only rolls his eyes, whether to my allergy or the look, I can't tell.

"Oh, and Cedar, I heard you are the top student," Mr. Eugene says, perhaps sensing the sudden tension.

"Ah . . . ." I suddenly feel flustered, "I, uh, last year I did get the top position."

Edgar scoffs and says, "By last year, don't you mean your entire life?" I don't reply to that.

"Your parents must be so proud, Cedar," Mr. Eugene says. I force a smile and nod, feeling my heart sinking a little. "Edgar's so bad in all subjects," he adds, shooting his son a disappointed look that was obviously fake. "But especially Physics. Calling magnets maggots. What a goddamn disgrace!"

"At least he will have something to tell his kids," Mr. Edward says, and bursts into laughter. I find it funny too, so I smile. But then I notice the smiles in his parents faces falter ever so slightly. They glance at each other once, and revert back to their happy faces. Sister Elysia's smile is obviously forced. I glance at Edgar, sitting on the chair next to me, with the corner of my eyes and see him looking down at his plate, distracted.

The earlier thought hits me again. To remove it, I focus on eating my rice.

"Anyways," his Mom says, pulling a strand of her black hair behind her ear, "Cedar, do you think you could help him with Physics sometime?"

"Mom! What the fuck?" Edgar looks absolutely dubious.

"What? It's no shame getting tutored by your friend."

"He is not my friend. And besides, you can't just assume he has time."

"No," I say, "I can do it." I turn to Edgar, "I can tutor you. Tomorrow, at school, maybe...."

"Nah, that's not how my brain works. It kinda has a 24 hour memory span when it comes to studies. I need to do it right before the day of the exam, or it will be of no use."

Right before the day of the exam. Which means he will have to come to my house. Mom will never.

"Right, see? He has a strict Mom, Mom." Edgar informs, drinking directly from the bowl of soup.

"Oh, it's okay, dear," she assures, "My son's future is doomed anyway."

"Thank you," Edgar says.

I start feeling even more bad. I see how all of them are eating way less amount of rice than me. And the adults aren't even eating yet. Is there not enough food? I look at the big part of chicken on my plate.

"Is something wrong, dear?" Mr. Eugene asks.

I push the plate of chicken to the center of the table. "Well, how about we all share the chicken? I'm not a heavy eater. I can't possibly eat so much."

"Oh, you don't have to hold back! We have more food in the....in the...." He looks at his wife for help, who adds, "In Mrs. Linda's fridge! She's our neighbour. We adults always eat late. And besides, it's not a very big piece of chicken. You should eat more! Look at how thin you are."

I don't point out that her children aren't doing any better, either. Besides, it is obvious that they are lying.

"Still," I smile and say, "I will feel happier if all of us can eat it together. I don't want to be the only one enjoying the tastiest dish. Please, it's a request."