Chapter Four

“So why did you want to come to the park again?” I asked while looking around at all the smiling faces. 

       “I want you to show me the kind of work you do,” Leo said while making himself comfortable on a park bench.  

       Holding my camera closer to my body, nerves were suddenly radiating all throughout my body. What if he didn’t like the way I took pictures, what if he thought they were stupid? “Are there no limitations?”

       “None, just show me why you decided to become a photographer.” I then watched as he took a bag of Kit Kats out of his pocket and started eating.

       “Kit Kats?”

       “What? They just so happen to be my guilty pleasure. Do not tell anyone though,” he said with a wink.

       Turning around I surveyed the park, looking for some kind of inspiration. Walking over to the playground, I made myself comfy on a swing. “That’s a cool camera.”

       Turning I saw a curly headed girl, smiling up at me with a missing front tooth. “Thanks.” The girl sat down next to me on the swing, giggling when a boy started pushing her from behind.

       “It is a pretty cool camera,” the boy said while continuing to push the girl. They had identical curly hair, with the same bright green eyes.

       “Thanks, I’m Niki.”

       “I’m Kellan and this is my sister Kyler.” Unique names for two unique people. I couldn’t help but smile at their playfulness; they seemed to have so much love for one another. “That’s my mom over there,” Kellan said while pointing to a woman with curly hair as well. 

       “I’ll be right back okay?” Walking over to the woman, I smiled at her before sitting down next to her on the bench. “Hello, I’m Niki. I’m a photographer and was wondering if it was alright if I took a picture of your family?”

       The woman’s green eyes lit up while she asked, “Why would you want to photograph us? We’re not that interesting.”

       “I find you guys very interesting. I could sense the love floating between your children just from being with them for two seconds. You don’t find love like that very often anymore.” The woman smiled before nodding, while walking over to her kids.

       Lifting my camera up to my eye, I watched as the little family laughed while pushing each other on the swing. My camera went on to find people kissing while sharing an ice cream cone, an older couple rolling around in the grass, and one boss man eating Kit Kats while staring at a flower.

       This. This is why becoming a photographer was so important. Being able to witness the small moments of happiness found in people, even if they weren’t aware they were even giving off the vibe of happiness. Smiling, I looked around the park once again before walking back over to Leo.

       When he saw me approaching he stood up, placing his hands into the pockets of his designer suit. “How did it go bello?”

       “I captured some really good shots; I’ve missed getting lost in the happiness of others.”

       “And what about your own happiness?” He asked while we made our way back to that fancy car of his.

       “What do you mean?” I asked while trying to keep up with his long strides.

       When we got to the car, I watched as Leo opened the passenger door for me all while staring into my eyes. “You find happiness in others, when do you find happiness for yourself?”