chapter III - the Inevitable

The next morning, while Reyna and I were discussing in my office about a scheduled meeting to be held at lunch time, a knock came from the door. The door opened and Lyca stepped in. She had a worried expression but she was covering it up trying to act brave. Since I could not stand the sight and smell of a man, we locked her mate up in a prison cell yesterday. Up till now, he was still downstairs.

"Alpha." She greeted.

"Lyca, have you chosen?" I placed my hands on the table, clasping them together.

"Yes." She exhaled. I cocked my head to the side slightly and stared at her, waiting for her to continue. She closed her eyes and breathe out slowly, gathering up the courage.

"I choose him, Alpha." She said quietly.  I could see Reyna at my side, looking back and forth from me to Lyca, dreading what I was gonnna do to her or to her mate. A sigh of disappointment escaped my lips and I leaned against my office chair, crossing my legs.

"Very well." I nodded. Lyca looked surprised with my reaction. "We shall escort you to your new pack after I attend my meeting, I want a safe transfer for you from here to there." I declared. Lyca grinned and bowed deeply, as she placed her hand across her chest. "Thank you, Alpha."

"Go and pack your things." I ordered and she nodded, her eyes shining with happiness as she left the room. Once the door closed, Reyna sat across me.

"Well that was a suprise you let her go that easily." Reyna said, placing her arm on my desk. I sighed and sunk down into my chair. "I cannot go against what the Moon Goddess has brought together. Its against Her law." I shake my head and sighed again.

"But what if the Moon Goddess brings you your mate?" She asked . "It's also her will for you, you know." She shrugged.

"I'm an exception, Reyna." I scoffed. "I have a choice and I choose to protect my pack, you know that." I glared. Reyna is the only one who knows my situation other than my deceased mother. She's the only I've got that can be considered as a bestfriend. After my mother settled down in a small packhouse, we found Reyna by the street, all damped under the rain. My mother instantly knew she was a wolf, an abandoned one.

She's 3 years younger than me, making her a little bit annoying sometimes when its just the two of us left in a room. She sees inbetween my stoic face, but she also knows where the line is drawn between her Alpha and her bestfriend. Right now, she's starting to become the annoying sister.

"But IF you found your mate, what would you do?" She asked, pointing a finger at me. I rolled my eyes and pushed her finger away.

"I would reject him."

____________________________________

It was around 12 Noon when we left the packhouse with my beta, Reyna, riding in my range rover. Since Lyca was the second wolf in charge next to Reyna, I gave her her last assignment, to protect the pack and serve as the leader at the moment whilst I was away.

We wore pantsuits since it was a formal meeting among all the packs in the North.  Since this was our first appearance with the other packs, it was best to dress well. I wore a white pantsuit, pulled my hair back into a tight bun, and matched it with some white heels. Reyna wore a black pantsuit and let her straight brown hair fall beyond her shoulders.

We had to dress not to impress but to intimidate the other packs that we mean business. Since our pack has only a small population, we were never really the talk of the werewolf world which was good, but on the other hand, our small population could be a chance for nearby rogues to attack. Well, those nearby rogues regretted their move and was ripped into shreds.