chapter VI - unexpected circumstance

-Athena's POV-

We arrived back at our packhouse without any trace of my mate following us. I knew he could trace me by my scent but our pack was located several miles away from the City that it takes almost an hour long drive. But if he did follow us, I would surely make him regret his decision.

I found Lyca in the packhouse waiting for us as I have instructed her through our mindlink. She was sitting on the couch with two large leather bags beside her. Her hands were on her lap and as soon as she noticed me approaching the living room, she stood up and bowed.

"Alpha..Beta." She greeted the both of us. I nodded and gestured her to sit down. Reyna sat on the couch across us. Lyca lowered herself to the couch and I sat beside her.

"Is there something wrong, Alpha?" She asked, looking at me with curiosity. I closed my eyes and let out a breath then turned to her.

"Is your decision really final?" I asked.

She looked at me with a sad smile. "Yes, Alpha." She gently said then pausing for a second, her eyes turning into a warm emotion as if she was reminiscing something. "Although I have been with this pack for years and you have taught me how to be strong and brave and to love my sisters, but.." She tried to find her words.

"Finding my mate made me complete." She said, her eyes beaming with so much emotion that I once saw in my mothers eyes before she died. But I remembered when my mother died, when she took her last breath, she also took with her all the love in the word that made me feel empty.

"I-I'm sorry if I chose to leave my pack and be with my mate, Alpha. I never felt this swirl of emotions before, it makes my wolf-" I placed my hand on her shoulder to cut her off from rambling such feelings about this mate bond. "You've said enough." I said.

Her, talking about her mate makes me also think about..No.

Don't even think about him. I told myself.

"We shall escort you to the pack of your mate." I told her as I stood up. I mindlinked Reyna to go downstairs and retrieve her mate from our prison. Soon enough, they emerged from downstairs with her mate looking alright. A wolf can survive with no food or water for more than a day, or even a week.

Once they saw each other, Lyca was immediately in his arms. It was a strange scene for me to witness two people in each others arms, probably because all my life, all I saw was blood and two people strangling each other's necks. It was never my norm in this house and never will be.

Love makes one weak. Love makes a person vulnerable.

I cleared my throat to intervene their intimacy with each other. Just because I'm letting her go does not mean they can go around touching each other in my packhouse. They removed themselves off each other's arm once they realized we were still standing in the room.

I've had enough stress for one day and I wouldn't bother another headache.

"Let's move." I called.

The boy picked up Lyca's bags and we headed to my car. They followed behind and I turned to Reyna to give her orders to stay behind and look out for the pack. Both Lyca and the boy were already stepping inside the car. I opened the driver's seat when Reyna called me.

"Alpha."

I turned around and she looked at me as if I was forgetting something, her eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"Have you forgotten?" She asked.

"About what?" I replied, tilting my head to the side in confusion. She walked towards me and held my elbow, looking straight into my eyes with all seriousness.