nine

⁀➷

⁀➷

With the press taken care of, Reed led the Fantastic Five into the Baxter Building. The five walked into an elevator that opened up, which creaked once everyone got on. The doors closed, but the elevator wouldn't budge.

"Either we're moving really fast or not at all," Johnny remarked.

A buzzer sounded, and everyone looked up to the corner of the lift to see where the buzzer was coming from. A red notice popped up: Exceeded Maximum Weight.

The doors opened again, and Ben realized it was his fault that the weight of the lift had exceeded.

He sighed sadly. "I'll take the stairs."

The doors closed once Ben left and the elevator began moving up.

"How come Ben can't turn it on and off like we can?" questioned Johnny.

Reed looked at him. "That's what we're here to find out."

"I mean, it could happen to him," said Sue.

"What, you mean, like, we won't be able to turn it off, either?" Johnny interrupted.

Sue scrunched up her face in disgust. "You don't really wanna walk around on fire for the rest of your life, do you? Grow up."

"Come on, am I the only guy who thinks this is cool?"

He looked between Reed, Sue, and Dorothy, but neither of them said anything. The elevator dinged and the doors opened. They each walked out.

Dorothy patted Johnny's shoulder. "If it makes you feel better, I think it's cool. Only because there isn't a possibility I'll turn into a fire monster or stretch my whole life."

He shrugged. "I'll take it."

"We should stay here until we can define the extent of our changes and figure out how to reverse them," said Reed

Johnny's eyes widened when he saw the lab. "Whoa!"

"Believe it or not, he actually lives here," said Sue.

Reed walked off into an office in order to turn on the lights. "But I have to warn you, it's gonna be a little crowded in some areas!"

Dorothy snorted, looking up at the ceiling. "Real funny, Reed. How far along do you think Ben is?"

"Eh, eight months," answered Johnny.

Dorothy smacked his chest lightly. "Jonathan."

"All right, all right, yeesh, I hate it when you use my real name. I don't know - probably six stories."

"We're on the thirty-fifth level," said Dorothy.

"Well, then we should get comfortable."