XXXVIII. The Chosen One

Chapter Thirty-Eight
Jayce

Warren is in the main square of the capital. I've used the force to track down his position, and I'm only yards away from where he runs in front of me. When he jumped out the window he did something to his leg, he's limping as he runs, and his tone is filled with strain as she shouts to the stormtroopers around him. "Shoot him! Shoot him! Shoot him now!"

There aren't many troopers in the area, most of them have fled to other areas where the fighting is more intense. But there's enough to cause a problem. About twenty troopers now aim their blasters at me, and just as I raise my saber to meet their fire, I watch as the Taris citizens attack them, giving me an opening to get to Warren, who's face is fuming with rage.

"Traitors! All of you are traitors!" He yells, attempting to make a run for it again, but I'm one step ahead of him. I shoot my free hand out and grab onto him with the force, making him fall onto his stomach with a yelp. I drag him across the ground, watching him claw at the dirt and order the citizens around him to help him, to seize me. They just stand there and watch.

Once Warren is at my feet I let go of my hold on him, bringing the tip of my lightsaber to just an inch away from his chin. "Surrender now, Warren."

He spits at my feet. "You have no authority here. I'm the Prime Minister of Taris. Taris is mine!"

"Taris isn't yours. It isn't mine. It's theirs," I nod towards the citizens gathering around us. "And I think they're tired of adhering to your rule."

Warren cowers as four citizens grab onto him and yank him to his feet, with one of them asking me: "What shall we do with him, your majesty?"

"Find him a cell to stay in until his trial, where he will be held accountable for the crimes he committed against Taris and it's people." I order with a nod their way.

Warren struggles in their grip, shaking with anger. "You can't arrest me! You're nothing! You're just a stupid brat from Tatooine. You—"

"I'm Jayce Kenobi Daulton," I cut him off, stepping forward so we are mere inches apart. "Son of Queen Genevieve Daulton and Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi, rightful king of Taris. As long as I live I will protect Taris from evil men like you, and ensure that my people are never terrorized by you or anyone else ever again."

Warren snarls as he's dragged away, still shouting at me even after he's no longer in range for me to hear him. The remaining citizens bow their heads to me, with the oldest among them, saying softly: "Welcome home, my king."

I bow my head back to them, placing my hand over my heart. "We are one."

They repeat the phrase back to me, offering me a smile, one filled with gratitude, with hope. I give them the same smile in return.

Approaching from the same street Warren was just dragged down is Leia, blaster in hand, Iris right behind her. Once she reaches my side I rope an arm around her waist, beginning to scold her. "I told you I had this handled."

She shrugs. "Since when do I ever listen to you?"

I lean down and kiss her temple, tightening my hold on her. Iris is about to say something, but her holoprojector begins to beep, and when she answers it, I smile at the face I see; Padmé.