[27] Crain's Cane | Parcel 9 V | Tease

I did my best to keep an angry look on my face as the boys approached the next morning, but I couldn't help the butterflies in my stomach surrounding everything I got off my chest last night.

"You guys forget your keys or something?" Pope hollered from down the marsh.

"Need a tow?" John B added.

Kiara turned to look at Sarah and I. "Don't give them the satisfaction of thinking this worked."

I scoffed. "I wouldn't dream of it."

"Absolutely not," Sarah giggled.

"You gotta admit, it was funny," John B said as they got closer, all three of the boys with smug faces. My breath hitched as my eyes landed on JJ. His fresh, barely awake morning look stole my attention. His hair was dishevelled, like it usually was, but first thing in the morning it hit differently. I wondered what it felt like to run my fingers through his hair, gently tugging at the ends as he opened his beautifully blue eyes groggily. The list of crimes I'd commit to wake up next to JJ Maybank was endless. Fuck. Stop that. Act normal. Act pissed.

"John B," Kiara said, keeping a straight face. Sarah and I echoed her expression, one of us having more struggles than the other. I wonder who that could be.

"What's that?"

"Mastermind, huh?" Kiara teased.

"I'm always plannin'" He smiled.

"That's some patriarchal bullshit," Kiara mumbled, watching as HMS Pogue stopped next to the boat we were on. "Yeah, that sucked," Sarah added, not missing a beat.

JJ looked up at me, a teasing smirk playing at his lips. I wished I could see his eyes, but they were covered with sunglasses. As he tossed a rope, he said, "You still love us though, right?"

I caught it with ease, scoffing as I did. "Nope. I already said you guys aren't my friends anymore."

"Hey, you still hate me?" John B flirted with Sarah, his eyes never leaving her face as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"A little. We're gonna get you guys back when you least expect it," she proclaimed, earning laughs from the boys.

"Watch your back, boys," Kiara threatened. I nodded along, raising an eyebrow at the three idiots in front of me. I had to admit though, they were smart idiots.

"I, for one, welcome that challenge," Pope shrugged, a playful smile on his lips.

"Me too," JJ agreed, resting an arm on his knee as he leaned over Pope and John B.

"So, did you guys, you know.." Pope asked hopefully, looking at three of us with his hands clasped together.

We looked amongst each other, all three of us sporting the same bitter looks on our face. I tried not to think of high Sarah trying to play would you rather, which was kinda funny, or our girl-talk about boys last night. As I looked at the two girls in front of me, I was glad to say they were my friends. Hopefully they meant what they said last night.

"Reconcile our differences?" Kiara finished for him. Her tone was sharp and unforgiving. If Kiara wanted, she could probably score a gig as an actress because damn she was believable.

"Nope."

"Mm-mm."

"Not even close."

"But, we've decided we're willing to work together," I grumbled, pretending as if I hated the idea of spending more than fifteen minutes with Sarah.